Wood Turning

Picture?

My guess would be that the corners are giving you trouble.
Irish or fingernail grind takes care of that.

The usually come square ground, the idea being that everybody puts their own favourite grind on them anyway.
They might just as well not put a grind on them at all, since the square one is as close to useless as you can get.

This was not hard to foresee:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xBxiqKVAX-0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This was not hard to foresee:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xBxiqKVAX-0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Face shields are your friend...

My very limited experience with wood has taught me to expect the unexpected. The years working with metal cause me problems with wood. Metal doesn’t have the stress, knots, cracks, voids, etc that wood does. Metal is predictable, wood not so much. I have to constantly remind myself it’s wood.

He didn't cut "downhill", Sean.
He was not, in fact, cutting but scraping and stuck that scraper right into endgrain.
Think of sticking the tip of your saw bar into the end of a log...........kickback!

Scraping like that is for people who are too lazy to learn to turn, but apparently not too lazy to sand a LOT.

That particular segment gets cut in two. Clamp the two pieces back to back and mill a 1/2” slot 1/2” deep 3/4” from the side both at the same time so they are inline. Glue a piece of purpleheart 1/2” wide by 1” long between the two to make the horizontal part of the cross. After it’s set you cut the segment again in the same place and clue another piece of purpleheart 1/2” wide by 1” long bwtween the two halves to make the vertical part of the cross. Thats the simplest way I can describe it without pictures.

Thanks Stig. That one is about 8” tall and 16” across at the top, the wall is 1/4”. I thought for sure it was gonna blow apart.

Once you've finished the outside, put gaffa tape around it .
That'll hold it while you finish the inside.

Well Stig, lol, I’ve got to do it the hard way, it’s who I am. I glue the base and the first few rings up and turn the inside first. The length of my tool rest won’t allow me to turn the inside first. I draw a “print” of the bowl conture and cut a template as a guide then use a thickness gauge to do the outside.

B4641547-60EA-4466-A40A-59CE174116EF.jpg

This guy is a bit of a nutter, silly name for a vase, and he seems to maybe have a injury wish :lol:
Bet it was hard on the tools as well.
The vase was interesting as a result. I would dare not try it myself.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5YnMcDU2JVk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I finally got around to changing my sharpening setup.
New grinder adjusted to 1200 RPMs and CBN grinding wheels in 80 and 150 grit.
This is just sooooo nice, wish I had done that years ago.
Just spent ½ a day resharpening all my turning tools.

P1070390.JPG

When we topped those 90 Linden at Frydenholm Castle, I collected some 25 nice burls.
Gave most of them to a woodturning friend, but kept 3 because I want to make a nice bowl for the apprentice.
To him, that was the job from Hell, so I figured he'd like a souvenier to remember it by.

Yesterday I realized they were starting to show cracks from drying out.
So it was either stuff them in plastic bags or get going and rough turn them.

So I decided that an experienced turner doesn't need the full use of both hands to rough turn soft linden burl.

Worked out pretty good, but I did have a magnificent catch, that a raw beginner couldn't have done better, on one of them.
Bowl went into orbit and is now the 68th moon of Jupiter.

Nope, both the bowl and I survived. The bowl took a sightseeing tour around the shop, but I'm not stupid enough to stand in the way when the one armed amateurs turn.

Now I just need to dry them and finish the best one for the apprentice.

I will definitely need both hands for that.

P1070470.JPG P1070471.JPG

Last edited:
Back