The Mushroom Hunting Thread

Porkbrick

TreeHouser
any other mycophiles around here? i know you guys in the snow dont have much action right now, but here in nor cal the season is just getting started. post some pics! ill start with these from today. IMGP3849.jpg IMGP3853.jpg IMGP3855.jpg IMGP3854.jpg IMGP3857.jpg

We only have two kinds that can be found this time of year.
The oysterscroom in your picture is one, but I don't care for it. It has a consistency too much like meat, for me to find it palatable.

The other one is "velvet foot" flammulina velotipes. The horse chestnut trunk I took down yesterday was covered in those.

Edible, but so is cardboard, and they taste about the same IMO.

So it is slim pickings untill spring.

What is the one in your first picture?

Looks like some kind of lactarius.

I ain't exactly a mycophile, I just like to know the names of everything I come across in the woods: trees, plants, scrooms, insects, you name it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
the first pic i haven't identified yet, some kind of agaricus i think. i tend to avoid those. funny, i like the oysters for the same reason you dislike them. i love iding the things i find in the woods, and i really get a kick out of finding wild edibles.

did you eat the chanterelles? i havent seen much down here since the last rain. overcast today for the first time in a week, maybe a new crop on the way.

found this lion's mane (Hericium erinaceus) on the job the other day. tastes like crab if cooked right. i made a simple pasta alfredo to go with it, yum. the other (amanita) you obviously dont want to eat, but its very pretty. San Mateo-20111212-00189.jpg Santa Cruz-20111129-00179.jpg

I need a little ID help.

Eucalyptus tree in Del Mar,Ca.
Last year I noticed it on the lower left side of the trunk. The landscapers cleaned it off so the HOA did nothing. The last pic is 2 days ago. Looks like different fungi in the same spot.
P1110003.jpg P1110004.jpg IMAG0176.jpg

my guess is they are the same but the first pic was taken when they were older. though the second pic kind of looks like jack-o-lanter mushrooms, if they glow in the dark you would know for sure. my other guess would be sulphur mushroom (Laetiporus sulphureus). there is a euc next to the highway here that grows them every year, used to be one next to my high school too. the physics teacher would eat them.

That is what I thought, but the gills thru me off. There are no gills on sulphur. I posted across the pond to Steves site. You saying that they are the same seems to be right. I do appreciate the help.

I found a good sized Hericium once. I got like 5 steaks out of it. It has a subtle but interesting flavor, kind of weird and rubbery.

DSC00911 (640x480).jpg

those are delicious. cook them with white wine and cream and they taste like lobster or crab.

Looks like I found some suillus americanus. I have a bunch of pines around my house, so that must be why. I haven't found poisonous lookalikes, the features and staining match up to results I've found. So, I'll give them a try

DSC09708 (800x734).jpg

DSC09711 (800x600).jpg

DSC09719 (800x766).jpg

Back