Redwood Fall 10-30-11

True dat. When it goes wrong it sucks.

I never had one go really badly wrong, so I only sucked a little bit :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Get the wax out of your ears!

The guy doing pulling. The man on the Cat. I got to say, most pull trees that went wrong was by that link in the chain. They freak out, don't pull when they are told to pull, just stop pulling for some weird reason, or they just let her go to smithereens.

You got to have the right man on the cat. Not somebody freaking out.

Thanks for the bump Chris. Awesome thread! And thank you Jerry for this amazing photos and explaining the whole process wow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You're all welcome! And again thank you, Chris. Still hard to fathom 7 years have passed since that episode. I took those images with a Sony F828. For only 8 MP they turned out alright.

You're all welcome! And again thank you, Chris. Still hard to fathom 7 years have passed since that episode. I took those images with a Sony F828. For only 8 MP they turned out alright.

No problem Jer!

I had a feeling that you were going to say the Pepperwood Creek tree too. Having to pull a tree 50' just to get it vertical is incredible! Not to mention having to haul a 17 inch "Young" block and steel strap up as well. Talk about a workout!

I used to work in a Skyline Logging show back in New Zealand.Occasionally there would be large Pines that would have to be pulled away from Rivers.One one job instead of using the Long choker to the Butt Rigging on a North bend system the foreman decided to lower the skyline and have me attach the normal length choker to the Tree.

The Tree went sideways onto the Skyline and bounced off,flipping onto its top then crashing onto the skyline again.This Tree was 200+ and about 6 foot through.Tangled the carridge,butt rigging mainrope, tailrope and chokers in a mess that took the rest of the afternoon to sort out.

Dcikhead foreman.

Back