The Official New Boots Thread

They do not articulate and although they look bulky, they are not at all and very comfortable. I never gaff out with these, the spike itself is totally different from american tree spikes they take getting used to but I love em' . They are like a crossing between a pole spike and a tree spike with a slight out turned angle. when you gaff in it almost creates a little platform to stand on

General boot question. I climb for prunes in the same steel toed, steel shanked chainsaw protective heeled climber's boots that I wear with my gaffs. Everyone I know here does too. I think we may be required to have the steel toed boots all the time.

But I get teh impression you Americans wear hikers for your pruning climbs. Is that generally true?

Dylan, did you get your Haix from Rob Romeril?

But I get the impression you Americans wear hikers for your pruning climbs. Is that generally true?
Yes
I do and also these .....
The Altamas grip well and I can use gaffs with them as well with out skipping a beat.
4156.jpg

Military Spec., very comfy, true to size, breath well, not water proof. But up in your neck of the woods... not warm enough for winter ;)
They hold up to about a year of my abuse.

I also have American issue jungle boots. very cool and comfortable. Not bad for climbing at all actually.

Rob has a pair (jungle) with different soles and they don't track as well in the tree. Fine for gaffs though. You can get them soled either way as I recall. His hold up great for ground work and gaffs though. His soles last longer than mine, but the trees are pretty hard on them (mine).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
General boot question. I climb for prunes in the same steel toed, steel shanked chainsaw protective heeled climber's boots that I wear with my gaffs. Everyone I know here does too. I think we may be required to have the steel toed boots all the time.

But I get teh impression you Americans wear hikers for your pruning climbs. Is that generally true?

Dylan, did you get your Haix from Rob Romeril?

I did get them from Rob, Nora. I still buy a fair amount of gear from him, he's fair and always good for a BS session.

I'll probably buy the wide variety next, but so far I am pretty impressed. Comfy to be on hooks all day, great for maneuvering the canopy, warm and relatively lightweight.

I climbed in hikers for the better part of my apprenticeship. Waaaay more comfy in the spreading canopies for me. Maybe not to spec, but I never one handed either :/:.

Nora, as CurSed says, I do know of a couple websites that sell those desert service boots, alas they arent CSA rated or steel toe or anything. I think the big answer is, if you injure yourself WCB is going to ask you what you did to prevent the injury, if the answer is nothing, thats about how much coverage you should expect. For the small amount of saw work I do its at least my CSA work boots, if its more than a couple cuts, its off to get my Husqvarna saw boots, gotta love the orange and blue gumboots.

To be honest, I was surprised to find out, long after I bought them, that the saw boots are most commonly sold with a composite toe rather than a steel toe, NO Chainsaw protection from the composite toe!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pequmgt21Lw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

THAT was an interesting video!

Check out this breathing boot.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mT9_fv5wyZQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah. Rob has great price and a fair selection.

I am completely comfortable climbing for prunes in my steel toed climbers boots. I'm used to them. But what a difference using hikers which I use for comps and comp practice.

How many of you Canucks have ever climbed in Sorels? Ha ha!!! I'm talking the felt lined severe weather snow boots.

How many of you Canucks have ever climbed in Sorels? Ha ha!!! I'm talking the felt lined severe weather snow boots.
I have and didn't really care for it the boot felt to loose and sloppy and I was wearing the hiker modle the produced several years back with a removable liner.

Yeah. Climbing in felt lined snow boots is nnot something you wanna do! But on rare days it can be the better choice in a miserable situation.

I'm having good luck in some whites smokejumpers. I got them back during the summer and just started wearing them a month ago when my last boots quit on me. They are tough to break in and I don't think they are even broken in yet. They seem well built and aren't bad on the gaffs.

I'll be forced into buying new boots shortly. Mine are literally falling apart. Two seasons though not too bad. Probably gonna go Vibergs now.

Attachments

• IMG_4375.JPG
    IMG_4375.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 48
It shoulda just been a season and a bit. Vibergs will go years, even in the woods and than they can be rebuilt for cheaper than buying another new pair of Vibergs atleast. Pair I was drooling over Sunday had $430 on the tag!!!

Back