The Official New Boots Thread

theres no doubt about that, having one for 4 years spoils you even worse. I guarantee Ive lost at least 10lbs of upper body mass due to it......

008.jpg 010.jpg 020.jpg I work in these shoes. 1 photo - for winter, 2 photos - for spring,autumn , 3 photos - for the summer ... This footwear has "Vibram". It is used in the Russian army. These shoes are lightweight and reliable.

I dont notice the weight at all... When I worked towers I bought the heaviest boots I could find on purpose, figured on getting the most exercise out of each ladder wrung.

At one point I thought about wearing ankle weights.

You will begin to notice at some point, I'll promise :).

Just go my new wesco's today! Do you guys recommend putting some mink oil on them or bee oil on them before I start wearing them?

No. Fill them with water, let it soak in all the way. Empty the boots and wear them dry. Use a peet boot dryer always. After they are broken in then use the Wesco oil or Obenaufs or Pecards preservatives. Stay away from Mink oil.

No. Fill them with water, let it soak in all the way. Empty the boots and wear them dry. Use a peet boot dryer always. After they are broken in then use the Wesco oil or Obenaufs or Pecards preservatives. Stay away from Mink oil.

Thanks for the tips! I wore them today and man are they stiff! I keep taking the wesco's off when I was on the ground I couldn't bear to walk in them all day long. I will just have to do a little at a time.

For anyone interested in custom fitted Wescos, I just spoke with “The Cobbler” in Windsor CA today. I am going to stop using an orthotic insert inside my boots and so am going to have him remeasure and fit me. He said after I pay the initial custom sizing fee of $100 that goes to Wesco I will pay the same price as off the shelf boots thereafter. I had forgotten that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Man, I am going to buy a good set of steel toed all purpose climbing boots this year, and then bite the bullet on some badass spur climbers the following year. 150 bucks don't get you s#$# for boots, well....that is exactly what it gets you I suppose.

You guys and your boots. I started with Carolinas (crap), Red Wings (much better) and Wescos (outstanding!), which I had rebuilt once. The Commander (from walmart) cost 40 bucks, very comfortable on spurs, lasts about 8 months.

Oh, and my climbing pants are from there, too - 10 bucks.

Attachments

• commander.JPG
    commander.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 101
  • wescos commander.JPG
    wescos commander.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 103
I tell you what. I wear my Whites smokejumpers on the gaffs, and for everything else in life I wear Cabelas Backcountry Hikers. For the price they have blown my expectations away. They've been more water resistant that boots that cost 4 times more, have hundreds of miles of hunting on them so far and the soles show no wear. Comfy, lightweight, and combined with good socks, can handle moderately cold weather.

s7_812860_008_01_zps05cdf6a8.jpg

Saw a cut away (half a boot) of a White while I was being sized for my Wescos. It had no steel shank in it. The Cobbler said, "Never had one in them." That suprised me.

Thanks Bonner (Nick), I will try double shanks in this set as I broke a shank in one of my current pair of boots. That was the first time that happened. Also I would like to see if double shanks makes the hours standing on the side of a takedown tree a tad more enjoyable.

Interesting to know Whites have a leather shank and you would never go back Tucker943, I have considered giving them a try in the past and again this time. Also your thought, Butch, about the Commander being thick and you not even noticing lays something to rest for me. I see people complaining about pain or excess discomfort when standing on climbers and I thought maybe it was due to no steel shanks. Thanks for the perspective/info..

Back