The Official New Boots Thread

Some peeps say heavy duty arch support weakens your foot arches, you know, the way to defeat an arch is to push it up from the bottom, in the middle. Just sayin.

Ive heard that too, but I doubt those folks are saying that while standing on gaffs. Whites arch support spreads the gaff pressure across the whole sole. Its like standing on a step.

Whites Arch Ease serves as both. It's rolled compressed leather that supports the arch but spreads the gaff misery. Doesn't bend like steel shanks

Is that why the heels on my Wesco caulks are called "spring heels"?
I've been a it worried because I mostly wear them in winter.

Couple of pair of new Wesco Jobmaster boots available. $132 each, size 11 and size 12.
Look up Woodland_Liquidators on ebay. (Bailey's closeouts?) (Other great prices too if the items are usable to you.)

Bump,

I am looking to replace my Keen Sheridans for winter ground work and have been looking at Georgia boots anybody have an opinion them? I read a few guy liked them early on in this thread.

I used to wear Georgia loggers, just plain toe, no iinsulation. They were tough and I got maybe 5 years of part time use out of them. Comfy after broken in like any leather boot.
I wear the same boots whether climbing or ground work. If I kept separate boots for different tasks, I might look into hikers or something lighter for ground work though.

I need the insulation and composite toe which led me to the Georgia Boots. Thank you for the reply.

For spur work I wear my Vibergs, general everyday every task boots Keen Detroit mids until it gets into the mid upper 30's, then the Keen Sheridan 30's and below but less than 4" of snow, after that it really depends on how cold and how much snow, Hoffman 16" pac caulk's for frozen hills and ice, and finally 16" Sorell pac boots for deep snow.
I really like perfecting my cloths for the day/job and weather.

Wescos highliners and Voltfoes are badass, and I'd love to get a custom pair made. I'm just a cheapskate lol, but one of these days.

I like the extra patch of leather at the ball of the foot. I tend to wear holes in that spot on plain logger boots long before I wear out soles.

I'm wearing a pair of Hathorns these days. I believe they are made by White's but machine made as opposed to the handmade White's.

Yep.
I was going up to be fitted for another pair of custom caulks next spring, but leukemia put an end to that.

I could simply order by phone, but I have a feeling that my feet have changed since I was measured 15 or so years ago, so I'd like to go through that again.

Does anyone even do WESCOs any more?

Last pair of $600 Wescos cured me of the desire. Measured and foot pattern marked out by a cobbler that sold hundreds of pair. When they came in too tight it was somehow my fault and all he could do for me was stretch them or send them back to be stretched.

Even after break in I can only wear them for one day out of seven. No down hill work.

I'm truly a huge fan of Nicks, can't remember if i said that already. Georgia boots are meh, had a pair, slip ons, for a year before they disintegrated.

Captain Caveman here has blown out the sides of the New Balance boots. Back to the Keen's for now, but a 2E width is too snug for me -- uncomfortable for all day work, especially on any kind of terrain with a lot of foot flexing. Probably will have to go custom.

Last pair of $600 Wescos cured me of the desire. Measured and foot pattern marked out by a cobbler that sold hundreds of pair. When they came in too tight it was somehow my fault and all he could do for me was stretch them or send them back to be stretched.

Even after break in I can only wear them for one day out of seven. No down hill work.

That's funny, opposite thing happened to me with my custom White's. Take all this time to get fitted and they are too big or of the box. Pretty frustrating

My custom Wescos have all fit me perfectly.
But then I went to the factory and got measured.

That would piss me off immeasurably. Maybe I'll stick w a pair off the shelf instead of custom sized.

That's funny, opposite thing happened to me with my custom White's. Take all this time to get fitted and they are too big or of the box. Pretty frustrating

How was White with regards to correcting the issue? I thought I picked up in this thread about a year ago or more that White or Nicks would work with you to get a mishap over to a good fit.

Back