SNIPE

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
welp, time to come out of the closet...........The name is Bill, Tahoe area............Would look forward to your book. Where would you like me to send the check?

I intend to be that way in Nov/Dec, be nice to meet you if that worked out

Does it stand to reason that the larger the gap, the longer the holding time and guide to the lay before the hinge breaks?

Does it stand to reason that the larger the gap, the longer the holding time and guide to the lay before the hinge breaks?

Yes, Jay. And in conjunction with a snipe the holding time, or delay in the face closing, will be increased. The deeper the snipe is sawn in the more delay there will be when we use a gap. The reason why is because the planes of the undercut and diagonal cut do not meet at the apex of the hinge. They are off set.

In the opposite case, when the planes of the undercut and diagonal cut meet together, as in a pinch, using the snipe does not increase the holding time. The timing is set more by the angle between the undercut and diagonal. But in this case the ramp created by the snipe comes into effect sooner and in turn is more conducive to getting the butt off the stump faster.

It takes some imagination to visualize how the interrelationship of planes make this work. But after the light bulb comes on you will never forget it.

Thanks Jerry for the helpful reply. It is pretty easy to imagine what occurs with a pinch when the cuts come together, no option besides the hinge breaking quickly, then as you say, ways to affect how the butt leaves. It is the variations from the pinch , along with the combination of other elements, like a snipe, that requires a better understanding of the effects. At least for me. It's nice to have a job where these methods can be tried out in quantity for comparisons....working in the forest, especially with favorable lean. Fascinating subject.....

This guy uses a snipe on a nice Douglas-fir at 5:00

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e2uVPp6mg74" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Wipe their azz with Spotted Owls or something here soon" Frustration in the man's comment, but funny. :lol:

That saw isn't stock.

"Wipe their azz with Spotted Owls or something here soon" Frustration in the man's comment, but funny. :lol:

That saw isn't stock.

Pretty funny, and that little 044 has some snort to it! Add square grind and you got a nice falling saw.

He really could of got nipped by that branch when bucking and the log raised. Working pretty fast there. I get too frequent close calls myself, usually cutting limbs under bind where more attention is required.

well, let's say there's an object directly in front of the tree in the lay and you want to launch the tree over it (No other way to set the tree down; object too buried in the ground). You really want to pop the tree off the stump and gain some distance.

How does a snipe cut at an angle (offset to the side from the face) affect the fall? Will it kick it to the side somewhat? Perhaps on really steep ground where it's hard to face to the intended lay?

well, let's say there's an object directly in front of the tree in the lay and you want to launch the tree over it (No other way to set the tree down; object too buried in the ground). You really want to pop the tree off the stump and gain some distance.

The higher you are above it the better. I usually make a slightly deeper and narrow face to get the face to close early, this seems to carry the tree away from the stump a bit. And no gap, just tight corners

wow...............that was one great video.........this guy is dialed in........

>>great visuals of a snipe
>>the ground he's cutting on must be pretty uneven (typical) each tree when bucked really went skyward.
>>makes me want to use my 460 (32" bar), instead of my 395 (42" bar). I wonder if his 044 is stock. Think I'll try throwing on a 36" with a square grind on my 460. Then I wouldn't have to hump around the 395 all day.

:O

That 044 I replaced the top end on really woke up with a dual port muffler.. I can just imagine what she would be like with a woods port. Almost keeps up with my 066 now.. But that is a whole nudder thread ;)

:D

Nice video.
Good to see someone who can really use a saw.
Must be nice not to have to limb trees, is that done at the landing?

Nice video.

On a lot of second growth, especially in Alaska (this info is taken from a friend who cuts on Dall Island) the processing is done at the landing. On the oversized stuff they'll take a log or two off depending on diameter of the logs to be cut.

Seems to be a lot of straight falling going on these days in some areas. Put the wood on the ground and let the processors deal with the rest.

Nice video.

The obligation of the faller to limb the tree in the brush and just how well of a job they do varies quite a bit, Stig. In the smaller timber nowadays it's becoming more mechanized and the limbing and bucking is being done more on the landing by machines. Tree length shows we call them. On the other hand with bigger trees more limbing and bucking is done in the brush by the faller.

Some times. Usually the top and sides are done while bucking and anything else is caught by the knot bumper at the landing. Tree length will usually be done mechanically at the landing. I was suprised to see that first buck slab out and be left, pretty big top to just leave. Wonder what the cut specs were

I am not familiar with a Wood's port. Got info?

Back