Martial Arts

If I take a certain route home on my bike, I pass a small karate dojo. During the warm months the entrance and windows are open, so I can watch the training. It's really cool to watch both the young and old pursue the training with dedication. It would seem to much help offer a discipline to young people that could benefit them through their life. Cycling keeps me reasonably fit, or I would consider taking it up myself.

I've observed aikido training as well, and it seems a very fluid style of martial arts. It was described to me once as taking the opponents energy and using it against them. Not exactly sure to what extent that is true.

kungfu.gif

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J_K6LOFBBCc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great, so if a karate master continually runs at an aikido dude sitting on the ground and tries to shake hands with him without defense, he will get thrown around a lot? lol Dancing with the stars seems less choreographed.

Well, it IS a demonstration. You aren't supposed to kill the other guy in those, I don't think. :/:

I like the part where the two guys seem to grab haplessly at the stick then fly head over heels when he jerks it. VERY realistic.... I do agree, it seems like a rehearsed demonstration which to me is pointless. If I was trying to decide what to study I would prefer honest, refereed competition.

In Aikido, that would mean a lot of broken bones and injuries. The top comment in this video has it: "a lot of ppl dont realize that if they dont spin, flip, or fall...they will get broken." Some competition clips:

Man, I wish people didn't have to add blaring music to videos. :roll:

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Eeyasb3NHLI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I started Tang Soo Do 3 weeks ago. There isn't much to choose from in my area. I've been feeling much better already.

Erik, that first video was made by an Aikido school.
If I had made it to promote my school ( dojo) that Aikido sensei would have had his head kicked off.

I once helped set up a tounge in cheek demo where a very good female karateka dressed like an old lady kicked the living daylights out of 3 guys. That doesn't mean you should necessarily be scared of old ladies.

It is a promotional video, not facts.

Something else, when you see those aikido people fly through the air at the sligtest touch from the sensei, it doesn't mean that he can do that to people.
A part of working with locks and throws is to learn how to stay ahead of the pain. If I grab someones wrist in a kote gaeshi, they will have tu turn the way I'm turning their wrist, or suffer pain. In aikido they don't just turn with the wrist, they jump through the air while doing so. Looks great, but isn't necessary.
Best defense agains a lock will always be a counterpunch, before the lock is set, or knowing how to counter the lock and get out of it. Jumping 5 feet in the air and spinning around to escape looks fine, but try doing it in a crowded place.

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3bGH9v6OYa4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In Aikido, that would mean a lot of broken bones and injuries. The top comment in this video has it: "a lot of ppl dont realize that if they dont spin, flip, or fall...they will get broken." Some competition clips:

Nope, not quite.
What I'm saying is that all the spinning and flipping is unnecessary.It is simply done to make aikido look good.
I don't notice a single " real" attack in those two videos.
Nobody fights like that, by gently reaching out for the opponent, or punching like a karate beginner.

Besides, you have yet to show aikido used in fighting. Those clips are both demonstrations, the attackers aren't doing anythiong except what was prearranged.

There are right now no fighting venues that don't have rules. Some have fewer than others but all have rules.

What I meant by real is there is a big difference between a fake attack in a demo, and trying to knock your opponent out in the ring.

Ever fought in a ring, Erik.
It feels real enough when you do it.
But like I said, there are rules. Still the objective is the same as in a real fight.

Here is something else that I don't much believe in.
The video is a fake, but a fun one:

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fdt40v882Dw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That was excellent...the big guy had some great moves to avoid punches...he never did cut loose like he could have.

The security guys were awful.

Ever fought in a ring, Erik.
It feels real enough when you do it.
But like I said, there are rules.

Nope; all my fights were on the street. No referee, no shaking hands when it's all over, no medical help standing by, no prize for winning except saving your own skin.

Still the objective is the same as in a real fight.

Bullshit.

It may not be "easy", but the objective is hardly the same.

Back