Martial Arts

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
See, thats exactly what I'm looking for.

Stig, I'll bow to your knowledge when it comes to karate, but Bruce Lee was still a phenomenal physical specimen. His physical strength and conditioning were exceptional.

There's a whole plethora of skills to pick up where I train. A Japanese ju-jitsu guy there was teaching me the basics of fighting with an edged weapon the other week. He also taught me some sweet pistol disarm stuff too............one of 'em where you don't actually take the pistol off your adversary, but rather break his index finger with the trigger guard while re-directing his point of aim, applying a hold to him and then getting the muzzle under his chin...or better still in his mouth. :lol: It's when I train with these guys that I realize how good they are at it...........and how far behind them I am.

Given that a certain hype can move things along, but generally speaking, and without knowing the overall ins and outs of it, I would say that for a person of Asian ancestry to achieve the level of worldwide fame that Lee did, he would of had to have been something special. OK, a few plugs from Hollywood, too. Stig's comments on Lee remind of his about Dave dropping that conifer in the slit between the houses. Defying the myths doesn't have to minify boldness and appreciation of ability won through hard work

I don't know much about martial arts other than what I've heard and read, but I have heard/read that aikido is not allowed in MMA because it is designed to end the fight by breaking bones, joints etc. Again, this may be total hearsay. I do know that Seagal and Lee were only two who took it to the stage, along with Jackie Chan, Jet Li and others. I figure anyone could be good at it in the movies.....in Bulletproof Monk, the guy "walks on air"......:lol:

The enviornment will dictate the style of ma best for combat, (it's difficult to kick or punch on ice or mud, so ground and pound work is best). Special forces in the USA are moving away from blunt force trauma and more to ground work training.

Bruce Lee rules.

Period.

bruce-lee-apprv.gif

IIRC, Aikido's focus is going empty-handed on multiple armed combatants. Hard to throw a punch or stab you with a broken arm, ain't it?

I think it is a no brainer that Bruce was a very elite athete, if not world class level. He trained hard to be the best he could be and his innate athleticism can be see in his movies etc. The Green Hornet screen test clip I find very impressive as his kicks and punches are just a blur of his speed.

He trains my Mrs too......

Cool, that will make it a fair fight.

I've actually been thinking about taking Tae Kwon Do just to feel better. I am very unlikely to need fighting skills and it doesn't suit my personality. However if there is a dojo teaching monkey style...

I don't know much about martial arts other than what I've heard and read, but I have heard/read that aikido is not allowed in MMA because it is designed to end the fight by breaking bones, joints etc.

That is absolutely not true. Probably a myth started by somebody who trains Aikido.
I have trained aikido myself in my youth, and have yet to meet an aikido practitiuoner that was any match for a good karateka or kickboxer/muay thai etc. It is simply more of an art form than a practical fighting style.
Like Gary said, Aikijutsu would be better. Once they took all the dangerous stuff out of it to make it into a "safe" style, it lost it's effectivity.

BTW tecniques like Kimura, Figure four locks and americana are all allowed in MMA, their object is broken bones or dislocations.

there is a local Muay Thai gym here. It may well give me the physically demanding workout I want.

Very good likelihood it will be very physically demanding. If you want to get inspired track down the movie "Yamada, Samurai of Ayothaya"...some very excellent MT can be seen there. And don't forget the Ong Bak movies with Tony Ja...wonderful stuff.

I respectfully disagree. I think the evolution of MMA as a sport has proven that multiple disciplines are the way to go. All the stuff that works, none of the BS

I totally agree.
I train BJJ myself. What I meant was that I see a lot of "trainers" with a half assed knowledge of those arts that they mix together. A lot of the people who train MMA do it stricktly as a sport and once they get older and can't compete well any more, they quit.
In the traditional arts many of us are in it for a lifetime

That doesn't mean that there aren't any good MMA trainers, of course.
I have trained with several that were very good at teaching .

And the " 9 times out of 10 a fight ends up on the ground " is poor statisticks, put out by the grapplers.

A fight only goes to ground if one or both fighters are actively seeking it.

In most fights only one person ends up on the ground.
The looser.

So you train BJJ and Karate? or do you hybrid the two?
What put me off the wing chun was the long periods of doing the 4 forms. That period would be better spent getting my heartrate up!

Muay Thai would be good for you. It'll definitely get your heart rate up.

How flexible are you, lack of flexibility is the problem that I most often encounter in students who start when they are " old".

Very flexible (I think!). Always have been - but now I spent most of my time in an office, I dont want to loose that.
What is a good indicator of flexibility?

The reason I said the '9 times outta 10' thing, Stig is because after I kick my trainer in the head a few times he always takes me down to the floor......he's 5'7" and I'm 6'3"........make sense?

Back