Mini Skids

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gee, that makes a hell of a lot more sense now doesn't it. I never thought of that I need more coffee. Thanks!

To add to this thread. I was thinking If I am going to get a mini/AL and put it in my dump trailer along with my 252. Could I put them on one side and build a divider in the middle to make a removable bunk for bigish wood on the other? Obviously there wont be enough room for a lot of wood but some maybe three or four 20" logs at a guess. My concerns would be the load balance side to side, or am I over thinking it and the machines and wood would come close to offseting each other? Any in put?

my super jr and my dingo go nicely in my 16 ft trailer

super jr in front dingo behind to lock in the grinder, 1 strap and im secure

when im loaded up they go side by side in the rear
i find loading to require a 3rd ramp for the grinders lil steering wheel, thank god the tongue extends so i dont drag the cylinder on the way up

Not the best pic, but with the grapple I can load the mini sideways on my 80" wide trailer with a load of wood. Normally I have more wood on than this even.

Attachments

• the haul.jpg
    the haul.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 111
You should be able to get a good bit of wood, with the mini on that sized trailer. All in how you plan it.

This was my 6" chipper days. All the wood from a 90' White pines sits here in the truck with the mini. At the end of the day you get creative in how you'll figure out how not to drive back out to pick up the mini. But in the end, a drive back to the site in AC is a hell of a lot better than hand loading wood and dragging brush. :lol:

Attachments

• 6-15-07 003.jpg
    6-15-07 003.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 42
  • 5-21-2010 005.JPG
    5-21-2010 005.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 41
I always liked my buddy Jimmys traveling shop, I would not of made it so wide.
he could get his ray jr in there also

Attachments

• Steelesminibox3.jpg
    Steelesminibox3.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Steelesminibox5JPG.jpg
    Steelesminibox5JPG.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 43
We transport our minis on the decks of our lift trucks and unload them with our knuckle boom. Here are some pics of unloading on a recent job.

51133306.jpg

Now you are just getting fancy. It sounds like it would work but would you have enough stick to manoover? I have not looked into them other than the really small ones that have a bottle jack to raise and lower the arm.

Lots of government service trucks have them. Pulling and setting street signs, lifting truck wheels or heavy parts in and out of the truck, etc.

Flushcut, what did you decide in the end, mini or AL?
And what are your thoughts now after having it for a while.

I'm in the same boat, mini or AL...?
I'm also considering an Iron horse for the forest locations.
The manual labor to move the logs & brush is just too much.

Btw, I really appreciate the photos of what others are doing with their equipment.
Thanks

Welcome to the house!
I went with a Vermeer s800tx and I have been very happy with it.

I'm guessing you bought it before I bought my first AL and way before I became the online rep for Top Notch?

From what I've heard, the 800 series Vermeer costs about the a little more than the Gehl AL140.

I'm guessing you bought it before I bought my first AL and way before I became the online rep for Top Notch?

From what I've heard, the 800 series Vermeer costs about the a little more than the Gehl AL140.

Regardless of the comparison I have heard the 800 series is a pretty impressive machine.

Man arent those like 30k??
Yep bend over, but I have recouped nearly all of the cost back in labor savings.

I took delivery in January of last year. I did buy it with a BMG, scoop, and broom so far so good but the BMG is taking a beating and I wish it was built a smidge heavier for the operating capacity of the 800 but I am very happy with the products.

Back