Mini Skids

Of all the things that threaten my saws, the sun is of the least concern.

As for theft, it’s not really an issue, as the dog is in the pickup so it’s always nearby.

Truck stays in the carport when not at work. I have a cable to run through the saws to lock them if/when needed. And a camera to keep an eye on them otherwise.

I call them truck wanna-be's. Trucks with short beds and trucks that don't get used as trucks. Impostors, pretenders, deceivers, impersonators...don't get me started.

Not hatin', just sayin'.

So how does this make you feel? F150 in the driveway, work truck at the shop, hauled the 200lb of fish feed in the car. 😂

Had the F150 detailed a couple weeks ago, including the bed under the bed cover. :shifty:
1634179086364.jpeg

Ok, I'll bite, what kind of fish are we feeding there Carl?

Catfish and bream eat the feed in the lake. I have an automatic feeder that holds 200lb and change of floating feed. It feeds them a couple times a day which I'll drop to once a day as it cools off.

I say that is The Little Engine that could. That car is going to grow up to be a truck one day.

That car has twice the ponies of my F150. Weeeee. A far step up from the old Civic!

Getting more practice on my Avant. Picked up 3 tons of 57 gravel (recycled crushed concrete) to start freshening up my driveway and it only took me about 20 minutes to spread it. I will need at least 4-5 more loads so I will get plenty of practice. When I first did the driveway 5 years ago I graded and spread it all by hand. I probably used 25 tons of gravel.

My BMG style grapple was supposed to be delivered today but still not here.

I am getting pretty good with the root rake grapple, and I think Avant has the best mini root rake grapple out there. All the other mini root rake grapples only have one grapple, this one has two, just like the bigger ones. I'm having a blast digging out small weed trees and pulling vines out of trees with it. I can also dig up turf and rough rake it well enough that it only takes a few minutes to finish off the grading with the bucket.

Last edited:
OK I just had another idea. I have almost no storage on the mini loader for things like safety glasses, a lifting strap, a pair of gloves, whatever. I need a glovebox. I was considering fabricating something and bolting it in place but then I thought of a drywall mud pan. I have a 'dash' area almost 20" wide under the steering column and as you can see in the picture there's plenty of leg room. I can pick up a stainless 18" mud pan for $30 and attach it in place cheaper than I could have something welded.
18" drywall mud pan/glovebox
I also have an appointment Tuesday morning with my welder to build the racks to hold my bucket and log grapple on my trailer. Also, I think I am going to buy the rake attachment from Avant. It's $800 but I can't get one built for that with the current steel prices.
Avant front rake

Attachments

• IMG_0286.JPG
    IMG_0286.JPG
    903.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I spent 4 hours at my welder's shop this morning and this is what I got. A 'bread rack' style rack for the bucket and another bracket on the side for the BMG grapple. The root rake grapple will typically be on the machine when loaded and will fit under the back of the bucket rack. The BMG rack isn't as easy to load as I hoped, so it will probably be a 2 man operation to use it. Mostly because I can't see a thing from the driver's seat. But the grapple is on the trailer and hopefully I will eventually become proficient in using it. As of this minute I really don't see any good use for it but everybody raves about them so maybe I'll come around. Right now it's a $3400 extra obstacle on the trailer.

There is 2" angle iron on the top rail of the trailer and the lip sticking up catches the BMG head and holds it in place.

IMG_0287.JPG IMG_0288.JPG IMG_0289.JPG IMG_0290.JPG

Last edited:
Cool.

Maybe a mirror or gopro-camera-to- smartphone set- up (mobile backup camera, etc) for connecting.

Does that grapple not have a pushing- dogs type feature?

Looks efficient- will be interested to see how it works on the job
The main objective is getting all the attachments to the job without having them in a pile in the back of the truck. And not having to pull them out and stack them in a pile in the client's front yard while you're working. Tree guys setting up camp in the client's front yard is one of my biggest pet peeves. Keep your shit on your truck if you're not using it!

Since our truck rarely gets close to the task at hand, we stage near the tree what we will need. If we dont, leave it on the truck. Rigging and climb bags stay near the tree. I hate waiting for anything longer than I need to. But I get it.
Ican't tell you how many times someone lays down a saw or gear either right in a drop zone or mini and material path/road.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That setup is really sharp but I might be inclined the paint those supports a lighter color for visibility.

That setup is really sharp but I might be inclined the paint those supports a lighter color for visibility.
I have a full roll of DOT red and white alternating reflective tape. I still need to finish painting them first, then I'll add some reflective tape where needed. I'm pretty much guaranteed to bust my forehead open on the bucket rack within the next 60 days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Since our truck rarely gets close to the task at hand, we stage near the tree what we will need. If we dont, leave it on the truck. Rigging and climb bags stay near the tree. I hate waiting for anything longer than I need to. But I get it.
Ican't tell you how many times someone lays down a saw or gear either right in a drop zone or mini and material path/road.
All the damn time right in the mini path. Or the LZ. Chaps my ass something aweful.

You need to weld an angle iron or a hoock-like something to catch the bucket's edge in the front of the rack to prevent the bucket sliding forward. The strap at the rear/top of the bucket won't suffice : in a hard stop or an accident, or just vibs, the bucket will slide forward while rotating backward (nose lifting up) and will fall off, even still tied.

My second point is the grapple. Its mounting plate is a serious obstacle , either in or out of the trailer (actually both). Maybe you can bust your head on the bucket's rack, but I'm sure you can do the same from the outside with the mounting plate or wreck a shoulder/arm from the inside. Too dangerous.

You need to weld an angle iron or a hoock-like something to catch the bucket's edge in the front of the rack to prevent the bucket sliding forward. The strap at the rear/top of the bucket won't suffice : in a hard stop or an accident, or just vibs, the bucket will slide forward while rotating backward (nose lifting up) and will fall off, even still tied.

My second point is the grapple. Its mounting plate is a serious obstacle , either in or out of the trailer (actually both). Maybe you can bust your head on the bucket's rack, but I'm sure you can do the same from the outside with the mounting plate or wreck a shoulder/arm from the inside. Too dangerous.
There is angle iron along the front of the rack to hook the lip of the bucket. It's very secure.

As for the grapple mounting plate, there really isn't a good place for it. But when standing on the ground, the fender (and open trailer door) are under it. And when in the trailer it is at waist height.

So, it's ok then.:thumbup:

Just an idea for the grappel, but I don't know at all if it's pratical : make a two stories rack, so the both attachment can be connected at will. To save a bit of hight the arm pass over and the grappel itself comes down in front of the bucket .

Back