Mini Skids

flushcut

TreeHouser
Howdy yall, I am thinking of getting a mini skid steer. I was leaning toward the Vermeer s800tx. So I am wondering if anybody has run and if so what are your thoughts. Or is there another machine that would be more recommended.

Mini skid? Never heard of such a thing! I can't imagine it would be useful at all, for anyone, ever!:lol:

You need to talk to Dave, TNTtree and look at a Boxer.:/:

Yep, Dave's the man to hook you up with just what you need. I'm sure he'll chime in when he see's this. You gonna spring for something articulated?

The Vermeer units are quite heavy for what they can do. The only reason I can think of to pick the Vermeer unit is if you live next door to the dealership or else your uncle works for them and can get you a screaming deal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You know I am not sure if I would go articulated or not. I am open to all suggestions. I don't think there is good support around here for the Boxers I know of a largish company by me that runs them. I know there is New Holland, Volvo, CAT, Bobcat, Gehl, and Vermeer in the area. I was thinking that I would go with a mini instead of an small articulated loader because I could get both my sc252 and the mini in my 14 foot dump trailer.

Vermeer's are pricey too. I was talking to a buddy today and he said he can get a three year old vermeer for 13k. I told him your silly, I can hook you up with a guy who can get you a brand new one not far off. There's many option out there, Vermeer's are soo much money. I have a vermeer less than 5 miles away, and don't own a Vermeer chipper or mini loader.

I have the Vermeer. Pricey? Yes. Little diesel monster that I couldn't work without? Yes. That machine has been nothing but good to me. Next machine I would get would be an articulating Gehl.

Your very right. I would quit cold turkey if I had to give up my mini skid! It'd be a hard sell to get me to work with a crew without one too.

I just looked into that 140 and I have to say that is a very tempting machine. It comes in at a little cheaper too. I am going to do some more homework on that one but it looks like the one to get.

Do a lot of looking around, I think you'll be surprised at how many different dealers you have around you! Ditch Witch, Boxer whatever. I know I was shocked when I started looking hard.

i love my toro dingo
wish it lifted higher, other than that, it's sweet
fits on my trailer with my super jr
lifts into my dump truck, but hard to dump, if only it raised up 1 more foot
get a mini
talk to dave 1st...he may have an off brand or a special deal on a used one.

i went used 1st, for the learning curve, didnt want to roll a super expensive new unit

If it lifted higher, I would still have it!

Attachments

• boxer5.jpg
    boxer5.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 48
  • boxer8.jpg
    boxer8.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 50
I have seem this Vermeer 800 and it is a mighty beast. I guess thats my problem with it, its the hugest mini I have ever seen. I did a demo for rainbow tree with a vermeer dealer last summer.
I had a boxer 427W(wheel) and a AL 140, Vermeer brought their 800. I lost my camera after the demo, dammit big Bummer cuz you would see side by side that the AL is not that much bigger, you would see how the Track peeled up the lawns much worse than the 427W with the AL being the most turf friendly. The AL weighs in at 3800# with no attachments the 800 ~ 3000#, Width 40.3 to 40.5, 11mph to 4.5, Rated operating Capacity 960# to 840, 106" pin height to 84.5, Yeah less horsepower 23.5 to 35hp but as you can see from the specs its how you gear the Hydraulics more HP does not always mean more power. The AL LISTS around 28K, I have heard the 800 is in the same Ballpark, and I can usually sell the AL for close to the same cost (although there was just a 3% price increase last week). Oh yeah maintenance you never wear out the tires on the AL - the 800 ~~ ever thrown a track? or replaced tracks? its not pretty

In the end Rainbow bought a wheeled Vermeer Mini (and a BMG), they already have 2 swingers and no minis, they cited too much turf damage with the tracked 800 and the big $$$$. They bought the Verwhheel cuz they run vermeer chippers and they had a trade in. Even though the Boxer was a a G cheaper.
My advice . . . If you are going to buy a mini don't buy a behemoth mini by a little Chevy model thats your best bang for your buck.
If you have around 25K in your forwarder budget, its a no brainer which machine to buy. Mini's rock, but articulators will kick there BUTT hands down!

PM me if you want I can shoot you my no haggle low price on a new 140. Gehl world Hdqrs is near Milwaukee, and I have sold one already to a tree guy just W of there.

Dave

Thanks for the advice! I am in the process of looking for a mini/AL I would love to have one right now but the funds are not there at the moment but it should be a reality soon enough. I think I came across your website the other day. I will be in touch with you in regards to a 140.

ive been doing like carl, and driving up into my car carrier trailer to load things, hell on the ramps...but who gives a .... oh,
i went up the ramps of a big beaver tailed trailer the other week, went up fine, it was down that scared the shit out of me, apparently steep inclines, mud, rubber tracks on steel ramps, dont mix.
good think i had the bucket low and was lined up good, i slid out of the trailer down the ramp till the bucket stopped me..frickin farm boys up on the trailer just a laughing away, i gues i let out a lil weird sound when i started sliding...prolly sounded like a girl on a roller coaster... i loaded from the side after that.

She IS a Big Old Girl, ain't she!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nOfbGR3sL0U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back