Mini Skids

If you can't see because of a load, just go backwards like you would with a bigger machine.

The exhaust goes out the front on most, doesn't it? Going backward is the way, and lean side to side.

You platform must be adjustable, somehow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Plus with a little practice, while backing the load out a quick little 90* turn at the chipper and it's chipping.

Right side exhaust on mine.

Is it forward of the operator?

I looked at a video. Looks like you need to keep it from going as low as it is designed to hang.

DW has right side exhaust, kinda has to be in front of the operator given where the operator stands, but I don't think I've ever noticed a whiff of it.

I drive backwards with almost any load, that way if it tips forward and the load hits the ground it will drag instead of digging into the ground.

My exhaust is on the left. Sean. Ill look to see if i can adjust mine platform, its only a few inches from the ground. Mine has a gas engine kholer 27hp. I wanted a gas engine i no them better then a diesel, and there cheap enough to just buy a new one if this one shits the bed like a drunk college student.

Just don't tip it over. I heard about a gas one catching fire, total loss, when it tipped over. Diesel won't do that as easily.

Ive tipped it over fwd before while on platform and went over the top of it. I didn't smell any gas but it shut off right away. I have a halon fire extinguisher on it now. Halon will put anything out. But ty for the tip nutball. MB ROCKS. :rockhard:

I flopped my ramrod a good few times on its side. Gas. It never lit up. I did light on fire once using a stumpgrinder attachment. And having fine shavings pack in around the exhaust. That sucked but I put it out with one of those dry powder squeeze bottle extinguishers they give you in the woods.

Here I was getting inventive to load some pretty hefty logs for such a small machine. You can kind of see my operator platform. Nice and somewhat protected. Rarely to never walked.

IMG_0435.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG

I flopped my ramrod a good few times on its side. Gas. It never lit up. I did light on fire once using a stumpgrinder attachment. And having fine shavings pack in around the exhaust. That sucked but I put it out with one of those dry powder squeeze bottle extinguishers they give you in the woods.

Here I was getting inventive to load some pretty hefty logs for such a small machine. You can kind of see my operator platform. Nice and somewhat protected. Rarely to never walked.

View attachment 95533

View attachment 95534

That's impressive....to load those toads with that loader.

It wasn't as easy as just dicing them up and chucking the pieces in(with the loader/bmg) would have been. But I wanted the logs. I chainsaw milled those up and made various things from the wood. Like the floor to the tackroom in my barn comes to mind.

It was worth the effort. Normally all i used for wood loading was the bmg. But in this instance and a few other times I used that sling in the 2nd pic wrapped around the log and the loader quick release plate to hoist one end of a log up and then pushed the log on with the standard bucket. Worked a treat for saving out big logs but where it wasn't worth hiring in a grab truck.

I also at times skipped the bucket and would cut a notch in the end of the log and utilize the mounting plate of the loader to lift and push with. With zero attachments is maximum loader capacity.

Logging background. Use it and abuse it for every bit of anything it's got in it. Lol.

I've only needed to chain up without an attachment a couple times. Have ripped, freehand or CSM, down to moveable log lengths.

Just ordered a dozen 2x8 Alturnamats for the coming wet season, to go with my broken weld. :|:

FWIW
I've found that I can stack plywood on top of my grapple to move it, or 3+ pieces, I can carry it without piercing it with the grapple, if originally stood on the long edge.

A 4x4 piece of plywood is all I need as a pivot point. Rotates about a point just past the rear idlers, unloaded, and under load, Pivots forward of that/ on the front idlers only with a big load.

Well, well, workload is picking up, and I knew I'd need one to move the biz to the next level, so w/ 0.99% financing, I pulled the trigger on this little puppy:
IMG_20200613_133558431_HDR.jpg

2019 left over that I got him to knock $3500 off the MSRP. Came w/pallet forks, and I opted for the smaller Toro stump grinder attachment, as I get lots of request for smaller take down stumps. BMG is ordered and should be here next week.

Rajan, got the scoops as part of a package deal, as that's exactly how they described them. Thanks.

Does vermeer often change the design of the log grapple, or do they still make the older versions? I'm just curious because it seems hard to find much info on vermeer and DW attachments online. I much prefer the style pictured below, though I haven't tried the newer ones, but I fear they have too many extra non-locking pivot points to give me the control I like.
1598927621901.png This one has a rigid grip, and won't dangle around allowing a person to do a lot of different things.

Yep, that's the one I've used before, but on a ditch witch. It is so useful, controllable and efficient in my opinion. The new ones seem to have the extra pivot, above the rotating hinge, that can't be locked. I'm just looking ahead if I can convince my new boss to get a mini, I want that grapple on it.

Time to spark up this thread again. I'm in the market for a mini, I rented one for a big job recently and realized that I simply MUST have one on hand at all times. I used the new kubota scl 1000 and the dingo tx1000, both with a "skidder grapple" that I was not familiar with (Ryan's I think, or something like that). The grapple had a power rotator, with an extra switch magnet attached to the machine to switch between clamp and rotate operations.
So, I'm looking for a machine, I like the lifting capacity of that size machine (1k lb rated operating capacity, ~2.8k tipping) but i would appreciate input about the specifics from the folks with day to day experience with a mini.
Also, they seem to be super hard to find right now, kubota dealer is about 3 months out, and they're about 35k. But they have adjustable auxiliary hydraulic flow, aux controls on the loader joystick, wide tracks WITH a 36" width etc, and my nearest kubota dealer is within 20 min, so I'm leaning that way but I want to see all my options before pulling that trigger. Used Mt 85s seem to listing pretty close to 30k. Any dealers around with new or used machines available? I'm about an hour NW of Philadelphia, and willing to drive pretty far for the right machine.
And then, after the machine is figured out, which grapple do you guys recommend? Which features should I look for? I haven't used one with lockable pivots, how does that work?
As far as machine recommendations, I'm transporting it in a 12' 5 ton dump trailer, or possibly making a set of ramps to put it in my old f450 chip truck (which has a lift gate, so with a little tilt it should load pretty easily)
Thank you in advance for suggestions /recommendations

Back