Level Stumps on Steep Ground

Open dirt in many directions, but often septic systems are around.

I wonder if you're gripping the saw the same when setting your face, by the lower corner a bit, thumb forward, as at the end of the video. Earlier in the video, you are holding the wrap handle where it balances. If you're leaning back and pushing the saw in front of you to aim at the beginning, it would be easy to roll forward. With the horizontal-cut first, you don't have to aim the tree until you have the horizontal kerf established, horizontally.

Will be interesting to see part deux.

Good video. I liked seeing the square in action. I've read about it, but never seen it in use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good vid and funny title!

Yes that machine looks fantastic! Is it new to you folks?

Yeah, REALLY new. Jake's got a ton of time on it already, but, if you can believe it, that was Davin's (the guy in the vid) first time on it. The thing is just so intuitive, non turf destructive, light yet powerful. All of us are over the moon for it. Super low COG on that pig.

Mr. Beranek/Gary/Mick: Thanks!!

Mellow: Yeah, I know... I always cringe to see that powdery dirt on an oily chain, but I always give er a buncha squirts before I throw it into the wood. Yeah, the gopro's weird. The house was actually way too close to put the stick that way.

Sean: I think I follow you. I usually use my 372, and that 95 is really a bit heavy for me, mostly because I'm just really not used to it. I'm usually pretty cognizant of where my hands are at on the bars, but to no effect... I usually STILL end up sloping stuff way down hill. I think I did much better in the vid, cause I knew everybody was watchin'. :lol::|:

Nice vid. Your employers are very fortunate to have you

I would set the face, and start the back-cut without that butt-tie in the way, if I were working hard on the face being level. Why was the butt-tie so slack? Good use. Clearly needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah... See... internet deficiencies can be a good thing! Think of how you folks can thank your lucky stars that the longest possible vid that I could EVER have the patience to post, is about 3.5 mins. :lol:

Sean: Duh! Waiting to tie the rope would have made too much sense!:|: Dude. I think I was just too lazy to take the slack out via a trucker's hitch, and I knew that the slack would still not allow it to hit the fence. :|::|::|::|::|::|::|: :|:

Sean Ruel: Wazzz up MAN!!!

Forums would be a greater place if all posts were just little video clips.
Thankfully, there's Snapchat to the rescue. My daughter has used gigs & gigs of data on my plan so she can "keep up with her friends" by watching short videos of her friends doing nothing.

The app is real, my sarcasm is about the teenage waste of bandwidth. 🙄

Back to the regular discussion of levelling the cuts as we fell trees. I do appreciate @Burnham pointing out the grip pulling the cut. I've had that when bucking a log but hadn't considered it when felling.

--andrew

Back