The Official Random Video Thread!

It's the most expensive method of logging there. 3 to 4 times over cat and highlead. But it's much faster and quarterly profits look better. The rate of the logging gets faster and faster. the forest doesn't stand a chance. Hell, I'm older than some of the trees they're harvesting now. Crying shame.

So you are saying the speed and amount of production makes up for the fact that it is more costly?

Interesting.

Well at least it is easier on the landscape, I presume.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/drCyzOf4WpI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's the most expensive method of logging there. 3 to 4 times over cat and highlead. But it's much faster and quarterly profits look better. The rate of the logging gets faster and faster. the forest doesn't stand a chance. Hell, I'm older than some of the trees they're harvesting now. Crying shame.

Not so sure I can agree with this last bit, Jer.

On industrial forest lands, managed properly, we can produce all the wood fiber our needs do require, without moving off those original footprints of harvested oldgrowth, now long gone.

I believe it may be wiser land management practice to go with highest efficiency rotations to meet the world's demand for wood, than to screw over more acres by less intensive management rotations.

This of course predicated on the obvious premise that logging has to be on ground and climate that can support sustainable forestry harvest over time.

That is frequently an overlooked requirement, world-wide.

But it is a serious question, and I am certainly in the camp that agree that there are no black and white solutions...it's mostly gray.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MShMQyMNvbQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I did like how he kept his hand trapped in the door to control him.:D

I had the pleasure of choking a bad guy unconscious once...my partner at the place where it happened was able to keep the bad guy from escaping by slamming the office door as the bad guy bolted thru it. He held him trapped long enough for me to slip a forearm around his neck. I gave the guy a chance to calm down at first...just had my forearm across the front of his neck.

When he kept thrashing and trying to escape I put the carotid V choke on him...unconscious and on the floor in about 3 seconds. Very satisfying....scary since it was the first time I put someone "out" but was good to see him out of action.

Crazy how fast someone goes out if you have them in a proper choke. it's been a number of years since I've choked someone out but I've done it a few times in my life. It always startled me, like I'd be a little bit worried I'd just killed someone. Never did though!

It always startled me, like I'd be a little bit worried I'd just killed someone.

Yep..that's so true. This guys neck made a "pop" sound when I cranked down on it...scared me, thought I had broken his neck. The doctor in the clinic told me the next day I likely popped his hyaline cartilage around his trachea. The person that taught me the chokes never mentioned that part of things...also never told me about the seizure that can occur as they regain consciousness.

Popping necks, seizures...lots of drama for a minute there. When the lady doctor walked by the office right after I choked the guy she asked, "Gary, what happened?" I said, "I choked him out".

She said, "OK" and just walked away like it happened all the time...I was like, "really???" Crazy times.

The guy woke up pissed off, wanted to call the cops. I said, "here, use my phone". Lady cop shows up, listens to both sides of the story, takes him to jail. I still remember the guys name.

Jujitsu taught us first aid for lethal strikes. A throat punch required the inflictor to grip the hyaline cartilage and attempt to restore the shape/openness to it. It was kinda a massage and a squeeze...

We were supposed to not let the person die.

Not so sure I can agree with this last bit, Jer.

On industrial forest lands, managed properly, we can produce all the wood fiber our needs do require, without moving off those original footprints of harvested oldgrowth, now long gone.

I believe it may be wiser land management practice to go with highest efficiency rotations to meet the world's demand for wood, than to screw over more acres by less intensive management rotations.

This of course predicated on the obvious premise that logging has to be on ground and climate that can support sustainable forestry harvest over time.

That is frequently an overlooked requirement, world-wide.

But it is a serious question, and I am certainly in the camp that agree that there are no black and white solutions...it's mostly gray.

Bit late on this......vacationing in Norway.

I agree with Burnham.

Better to run some "forest" like corn fields and leave the old stuff alone.

Jerry, you and I are old fallers used to be paid by what we could put on the ground, and we hate to see the short cycle management, because it is the stuff that forced us out of the woods, since harvesters do it faster and cheaper.

But the days of the hand faller are coming to an end, and so are the long cycle forest management.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bdBuDg7mrT8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back