Moles!

I have been shooting them in my yard with a break barrel pellet rifle. Average shot is about 250' the pellet makes a "pop" sound at impact.

That's a loooong shot for a pellet gun.

That's what I was thinking too.

That is impressive. Must be a powerful pellet gun.

It's very long! And it sucks. I wish I could use my .17HMR tho legal to shoot out here but I just don't have clear shots I am comfortable with.
Its a Beeman .177 cal it shoot at 11-1200fps, shoots clean thru the little buggers at that range too.
Playing the wind really sucks! About 4-5" of drop with a zero of 20yrds lotsa SWAG.

I hear shooting through the tunnels doesn't work well, the 1-3" of dirt will slow and break up a .22 too quickly do I heard from someone who tried shooting straight down at a moving burrow.

I so very seldom see a mole above ground as to make any plan on shooting at them with a varmint gun worthless here.

I know one neighbor who likes to sit in a lawn chair with a cooler full of beer in the middle of his yard with a shotgun at hand, just bird shot, like 8's. He sees a hill move, sneaks over and shoots down into the hill. Concussion kills, not direct shots to body...he says :).

He still has just as many moles now as I do...but he has way more fun, I think :lol:

what's wrong with moles? I always thought they were pretty cool animals. I used to pop my grandfathers mole traps all the time I could never see why he wanted to kill them. but maybe someone can explain.

No issue with moles but gofers must die. Yesterday's long shot was 206' measured with a tape then two more one at 170' and one at about fifty feet out.

I used to mash down the tunnels and wait and watch for activity, see movement and slip a shovel under and pull a shovelful of dirt and the mole out. This year I tried jamming pine cones into the raised tunnels. Slows them up considerably. I guess they get tired of pushing the cones out of the way, they don't seem to want to go around, just want to use same tunnels. If they do go past the cones I've placed, I just add more along the tunnel, to make them work harder.

what's wrong with moles?
As mentioned, I sustained a severe injury (w/permanent after effects) due to stepping in a gopher hole. Moles & gophers leave unseen perils for humans and animals, as well as unsightly areas in turf. Gardeners hate them for the crop damage.

My field/ work area is lumpy bumpy. Mowers get damaged by hitting dirt and rocks. I have to smooth out the piles and take golf ball-sized rocks out.

You could think cow patties in your lawn are fertilizer, but its still a cow patty in the lawn.

If I let the grass grow, instead of mowing, I'd have a high fire-danger. As is, its brown, but short.

Mowing also mechanical weed control. I am fighting large amounts of thistles. Mow where I can mow, pay to have inaccessible thistle pulled, deplete the seed bank. Dandelion control as well. If you don't care about your weed seeds, but your neighbor will (my two downwind neighbors have manicured lawns). If my seeds go there, they will use more herbicides and/ or fertilizers, just uphill of wetlands.

I'm going to get soil delivered and use a 'drag' to level the area out. This can be a play area. The rest of the property is sloped and uneven, so soccer, baseball, etc, is limited. Those activities are good for child development. I'd like to have an area where I can play with D and not risk turning an ankle, putting me out of work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHlARjbTGxs

This is what I use, kills em dead.

Basically you clear the molehill, the mole hates airflow thought the tunnel as it interferes with his hearing and smelling of earthworms.
He rushes to backfill and close the hole by pushing earth out, then he activates the plunger and sets off the explosive cartridge.
Even if it doesn’t blow him to pieces the shockwaves will rupture vital organs if he’s within a certain distance.
100% effective if put in right.
I have killed dozens over the years in my garden.

Back