RC Airplanes

• Thread starter TreeDimensional
  • Start date
  • Replies 46
  • Views 6K
T

TreeDimensional

Anyone here fly 'em? I am the owner of two now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is the nitro one. http://www.hobbico.com/airplanes/hcaa18.html

The other is a Cub elctric Park Flier! I will mess with the electric until the snow is gone. Might as well use a cheap one at the start.

Some words of wisdom I have heard are: Don't fall in love with the first couple planes, it will end badly! AND Don't try and learn flyin' (read "crashin") warbirds!

DMc Dave has a couple I believe. And a guy on my fishing forum has one he rigged up with a video cam. It has about a half mile range and he flies it by watching the live video on his laptop.

Lewis Brander once linked to a vid clip of this guy who had a scale model B 17 that carried a drone .This thing had 4 McCulloch saw engines on it and would fly inverted which is something a real B 17 could not do .It had enough power to climb nearly vertical .Plus this guy could launch the drone and fly both at the same time .No novice there .

Those 3-D planes will hover like a helicopter! I guess I am to conventional for that! I like the RC's that fly like their "big sisters" the real thing. That why I like the Otter. I have seen them flying up north and I am sure that a good runner could beat 'em in a race!

I guy I drove truck for when I first started the "long haul" trucking thing was a bush pilot, a guy that worked on the farm next to mine lost a brother up in the bush, never found him, his passengers or the wreckage.

Friend of mine had a powered parachute (2 passenger) crashed it on take-off, could have been worse! He limped away!

I have about 5 Rc helicopters from 60 inch rotor diameter down to 7.5 inch. 2 nitro the rest electric.

DMc Dave has a couple I believe.

Wow. That's amazing. How do you do that? I wasn't even sure I had ever posted anything about my planes, let alone someone else remembering.

But yeah, I do have a couple of nice RCs.

The yellow one is a high tec, European electric-powered glider. Super high performance. It is very, very fast. And it's hollow fiber glass and carbon fiber, at about 130 mph, it makes this awesome screeching, tearing sound as it rips across the sky. Just makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

The red one is a floater and the one on the bench is a gas powered stunter.

If you get into this hobby, hold onto your checkbook. Money can disappear awfully quickly.

Dave

Attachments

• BC6B287.jpg
    BC6B287.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 12
  • C306FD21.jpg
    C306FD21.jpg
    630.9 KB · Views: 13
  • FB750E49.jpg
    FB750E49.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 12
I remembered the picture of the one with red wing tips and your beautiful house in the background. I knew it was a high dollar unit and very fast but had forgotten the details. :)

Any of you RC plane guys hear of a dogfighting system that uses laser like laser tag? An old boss of mine was developing one and trying to get it to market. He seemed close to doing it when I had last talked to him about it.

No but my buddies dad said you can hire a plane and have a real laser tag dogfight! Comes with a backseat pilot that can override your controls at anytime

Well the fleet is growing, I hope I can learn to control these things. I picked up 1 used electric HobbyZone HBZ 4800 and a New HobbieZone HBZ 7300. The wife only knows about the cheap one. Theses are all trianers, and because the weather has been so crappy, I have built a couple sets of skies. I found a place in MN that makes aluminum skies, but (drum roll please) he has NO contact info on his web site! I found his phone # through a business directory, left him a message but no joy there yet either.

Burn, I think thats Canadian speak for Skis. :D We regularly add extra letters to words.

Have fun Brent. You know somebody to get your plane down if it gets stuck in a tree. I think you have some good clear flying space around the farm, through.

Any of you RC plane guys hear of a dogfighting system that uses laser like laser tag?
There is an RC group pretty close to me that have meets every so often .I don't how they do it now but they used to trail a sash out the back of the little planes then the other dog fighter would chew it off with the prop to score points .

There's a guy at work,old hot rodder biker type .He has a souped up Stihl 070 engine that can spin 14-18 inchs of prop .Eventually it's designated for a large scale RC plane .He tested it bolted to a work bench top and it blew all the nuts bolts and tools off the bench .He had to shut it down for fear the bench would take flight .

That's a funny image Al.:lol:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jAAjkcTqYCQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jAAjkcTqYCQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mutb7KgA9NM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mutb7KgA9NM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Oh may the hours and talent it took to make those small engines is hard to imagine . The V engine is nice but pales by comparission to the twin bank radial .

On this subject of RC stuff those rc sites contain a wealth of info regarding engine modifications .The basic pricipals they use are applicable for chainsaw engines when the formulas are worked out mathimatically .

So that said for those inclined to experiment with enhancing saw engines I recommend visting a few of those sites .They are very interesting if nothing else .

Back