integrated bar nuts.

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
When I tried the new Stihl MS 261, one of the ( many) things I liked about it was the built in bar nuts.
No more fumbling around in the snow for your lost nuts ( no pun intended!).

I was talking to my saw dealer last week and he said that since Stihl are standradizing more and more parts, he figured that the new type of side cover would fit on my everyday saw, the 441.

Yep!

Here it is. That is going to make my life a bit easier, and since a new cover costs something like $20-25, I figured I'd mention it here.

PC190001.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll try to put it on the 460 and 660 tomorrow.

One thing I forgot to mention, you need some new bolts as well. Or maybe just cut the old ones down.

Good to know!
I don't think I will buy another side cover unless I break mine,but if I do....

441 is a Great Saw,it gets better with a Muffler Mod.

With not much work, you can make the bar nuts on ANY saw self-retaining.

That is cool. Are they available on the lowered/flared covers for the full-wraps?

Thank you Stig.
It would not be too hard to redo a old cover with this nut...

Are they replaceable if you damege it? That was the down fall last this was tried.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are they replaceable if you damege it? That was the down fall last this was tried.

No idea, but now I've been running saws for over 30 years, and I have yet to overtighten a bar nut. So I'm thinking: No problemo!

Yes, but you should see the nuts I get here sometimes! And they have saws too! With barbolt nuts!
Plastic covers and cases are better in this aspect as that breaks instead.

But on the pro saws with "Pro" users I still see a lot of crap....

Stihl nuts don't have a flange, but if they did, picture a piece of metal that went over the nut but caught on the flange.

Kind of dense here, what exactly goes on with those.....they stay attached to the cover when you free them from the studs and aren't removable?

foil.jpg

Seems like a neat idea with the new 261 cover. But my question is, do the new type bar nuts come out (can they be removed from the cover easily) so you could put new ones in their place if you stripped one out somehow?

I'm guessing they can be drilled out, and they appear to attach to the cover sort of like a big rivet, the tube extends down through the cover and is then flared out to catch on a lip so it can't come off.

Back