A day in the life...

Burnham

Woods walker
Called out to clear this blowdown western hemlock...I dunno, maybe 40 inches dbh. It failed about 15 feet above ground level. Put the Warn to work and moved it in a couple of pieces. Working by myself, and that winch saves me a lot of labor :). Clearing Salmon River Rd. 004.jpg Clearing Salmon River Rd. 001.jpg Clearing Salmon River Rd. 003.jpg Clearing Salmon River Rd. 005.jpg Clearing Salmon River Rd. 006.jpg

Last edited:
Working by yourself is cool. You can better hear the birdees....not referring to the ones flying in your head.

Nice pis, and a very thorough documentation I might add.... albeit lacking a photo of yourself, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not much for setting up the timer and finding a flat spot to place the camera, I guess. You'll just have to take it on faith that I was there :D.

Don't know if y'all can tell from the pictures...no MA in either of those sets, just redirects to put the logs where I wanted them.

No coffee break today...I went from there to look at a hazard tree fell we're planning for Friday. 40 inch dbh doug fir, dead, but bores solid. Tight place to fall it, and heaven help us if we lose it backwards...it'd kill a historic house and garage, WPA era stuff.

But the slight lean is favorable and we're having ODOT there to close a lane of Hwy 26, just in case.

I think we're going to put this one in the hands of one of our younger and somewhat less experienced cutters, but I'll be there and another fine FS C faller will be, too. At some point you have to help them grow...and cutting a big one with some risk associated with it is part of the process.

No coffee break today...I went from there to look at a hazard tree fell we're planning for Friday. 40 inch dbh doug fir, dead, but bores solid. Tight place to fall it, and heaven help us if we lose it backwards...it'd kill a historic house and garage, WPA era stuff.

But the slight lean is favorable and we're having ODOT there to close a lane of Hwy 26, just in case.

I think we're going to put this one in the hands of one of our younger and somewhat less experienced cutters, but I'll be there and another fine FS C faller will be, too. At some point you have to help them grow...and cutting a big one with some risk associated with it is part of the process.
This is great B;) made me reminiss a fist big un for me:D

I think we're going to put this one in the hands of one of our younger and somewhat less experienced cutters, . At some point you have to help them grow...and cutting a big one with some risk associated with it is part of the process.

Great pics!
And I really did the above philosophy. I cut my teeth in tree work, the first 6 years or so working with my dad and three older brothers. They didn't necessarily subscribe to your thinking..... But I got over it;)

Pictures of gear and trees are never boring, Burnham.

I totally share your philosophy about letting the youngsters grow.
The trick is to be able to know when is the right time to let them cut their teeth on a big bad one.
If it goes south on them, they may never get over it.

Hope you'll show some pictures of it, I like pictures from your part of the world, your hazard trees are just so different from mine.

We haven't had Doug fir long enough for them to become hazard trees yet.

I ought to be able to get some good pictures, as I expect to just be advising...unless things begin to look sketchy :).

We're still on for dropping that hazard tree tomorrow...don't touch that dial!

Back