OK go ahead and laugh at my Poulan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is a 16" I bought for my woods ported 066. No longer own the saw, but kept the bar around.

DP muffler is a Raisman aftermarket ( I try and not buy from baileys, bought elsewhere ) I tried on the 440 build and liked it so went with one on this 046 build. Wide open inside and you can buy with or without spark screens. Complete mufflers for less cost then a OEM DP Cover. There is a guy that tested on a dyno and just a DP front cover showed a .7hp gain.

460 tank was replaced before I got it and saw was owned by a tree service. Imagine it took a hit. New owner brought it to me in a box and grocery sack.

Whoever put the new 460 tank on it didnt put a fuel filter on it. When you get a new tank it dont come with impulse line or filter, but does come with new fuel line attached. Carb got plugged with fines and went lean and burned her up till she stuck rings. I was able to clean piston and cylinder to reuse, redneck fix. ;)

Same bar in this video. 16" bar was for this type of stuff.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mUTMEcvTLr0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Both 76.5cc

Wood ash, 14.5" across x 12.5" deep. same square chain and 3/8 7T ran on both. Both were running fat at 12K due to breaking in with new rings and rebuilds.

046 has wide open dual port muffler with enlarged side exit too. D shaped combustion chamber.

475 stock muffler, no spark screen.

I always considered this 475 a good runner, so that is saying something when this 046 on it;s 1st tank was that much stronger.

The 046 was noticeably stronger in the cuts.

046 9.32 9.52

475 10.91 10.87

Man, Kevin, I'm pretty impressed that you cld get that jug cleaned up that well. Man, you had that pig sounding really good. Must have polished her up like there was no tomorrow. Hey, do you run both rings on your pistons? I just run one on my 440, just cause a guy told me that there'd be less friction that way. :lol: She seems to go pretty good that way, but I don't know.... seems like I'd be loosing a bit of compression that way. Those Germans can't be all THAT stupid.

That 066 video was a old logger saw that was rebuilt by the owner that lives and runs a mill in WV. The WV guy woods ported it for a work saw. I feel in love with that saw and made it mine many years ago.

I just tuned and ran square chains.

Work saws I ran 2 rings. GTG racing saw I would run 1 on some of them ( I couldnt see no real difference aka gains ). That 066 had both rings.

O.k. thanks. Yeah, it didn't seem to make such a difference to me either. I'll probably throw the other ring on if I ever have to take the top end off again. Seems like it wld help to stop the chain from running sooner when you complete a cut (after you get off the throttle), if you were running both rings.

Would you ever be interested in posting up pics--or, better yet, a vid.--of how you port your cylinders? I'd pay for it. :/: :P

inbredjed I dont port. Tried it and dont get the gains I was used to by Dozerdan, EHP, Dave Neiger, WV logger.
The local firewood cutters dont give a hoot about porting and that is 95% of my side business.
Heck I cant get them to buy real saws, let alone ported ones. Got a few now hooked on the 440, 036, 361,372, 272, 346, 5000, 550, 500, off the top of my head.

Almost seems kinda smart to me Kevin. Clean em out good and then seal em up tight.... Seems like that's about the best work that can be done. Having said that, I should mention that I've ported four saws, all with varying results, but three out of the four, were greatly improved. The fourth was I 395 that I blew-up! :|:

All they want is a saw that starts, idle all day and has sharp chain in beginning. Because Lord knows when I get them back they are dull dull dull.

Wife surprised me with 3 new signs for inside the shop area today. ;D 8)

HA! You got a good un' there Kev.

Yeah, guys don't know what they're doing. I almost prefer that the guys on my crew DON'T pick up a file, but, with other guys, I think, "Man, it'd be good if you, at least, TRIED."

Have you ever tried using a plain ol Mill Bastard flat file for restoring badly rocked chains. Just put the saw in a vise, and then reef on it, then hit it with the round or square file. Works like a champ.

Nope.

I got tired of a hour on a rocked chain by hand so invested in a stihl USG for doing such now. Now when guys drop off 5-12 rocked out chains, I get them all evened up quickly. Even though not as good as hand filing IMO.
If they want to pay hourly rate for me to fix rocked chains then we will talk. I charge them $5 a chain and even check and set rakers as needed.

Out of curiosity. I just took the very aggressive 3/8 square chain with lowered rakers that I ran on the DP muffler 440 046 both stock, poulan 445 475, husky 372. I put the 3/8 72dl chain 7T on my EHP redmax 5000 that was built for cutting pulp wood and higher rpm use up to 16.8k for cookie cutting. I have been running it a super fat 13.8k for years now even at gtg's. Not seeing much use in my stable with maybe 5 tanks or so and owner before me put 150 tanks through it in 3 weeks use.
Anyhow cutting the same ash log 14" wide, 13" deep I have been testing the above saws in. The ported redmax 5000 was right there with them in the mid to high 10's.

394xp and ported 371xp came in for troubleshooting. Also got to run another ported 50cc 346xp. Man I hate 325 chain on ported 50cc saws IF they got the balls to pull 3/8.

Now that's an interesting opinion right there, that I'm too ignorant to have much of a viewpoint on. The guys a Bailey's seem to think that the new, big trend is going to be narrower kerf. :what: I might tend to agree with that if we were just dealing with shorter guide bars. But what about the chip-pull on the bigger saws in the bigger cuts? Seems like you'd want a wider kerf just to help funnel all the chips along a little better to me. I think you might be able to get away with a narrower kerf (which is an advantage, because you're removing less wood to make the cut) with square grind, simply because the top-plate angles are less--about twenty degrees--than they are on round--about 32 or 35 degrees. I was taught that if the top plate angles are less severe--as with square grind--then the individual chisels do not rub the drivers so hard on either side of the groove of the guide bar, thus minimizing friction, (It's like having more cc's in your power-head) and wear on the bar. I'm pretty sure that this is true. A thirty-five degree chisel is going to pull to the side a lot harder than a twenty degree chisel would.... But how this all plays out with regard to kerf-width, I don't quite know.... Food for thought.

I run 3/8 if saws are strong enough to pull it. The narrow knerf 325 and reg 325 are fine for saws that cant pull full 3/8. JMO. Just like ford chevy dodge. Your choice to run what you want.

Here is a friends partner 5000 testing chains.

325-7T=15.83 seconds
325-8T=14.50 seconds
3/8-7T=12.78 seconds

I come up with same findings on 346 50cc stock.

The 50cc ported 346 I ran yesterday had narrow kerf oregon 95 bar and husqvarna 30 narrow kerf chain on it. IMO that stuff is for saws that dont have the get up and go that cant pull 3/8. The saw seemed slow running that stuff compared to a loop of full 3/8.

Now for you guys limbing, yes 325 might be better. But for bucking cuts we are doing with 16"-18" bar, I dont find that the case at all.

They are Partners but with a flexible intake instead of the block. . I ran 3-4 c.I. Partners back in the 70 s. They were real good saws except in the summer. Then they would vapor lock and it was almost impossible to start them. Partners were the first saw that I know of that had heated handles. Exaust heated.
When Electrolux bought the Poulan and Pioneer brand they mostly went with the Poulan name. . Least as far as I know. The 475 was the first of the 75 CC class saws. . It was a good saw. The 2083 Jonsred was not a very good saw. I hopped mine up and it would almost keep up with an 044 or a 371 . Before I worked on it. It would cut right with an 038 wood boss

That's strange. I prefer .325 on my 346xp's and my ms261's as I've felt that it out cut the 3/8 by a bit

Just tested in 13" ash. Best 1 cut times

ported 50cc 346 7T 325 narrow kerf chain 17.00

stock 50cc 346 with stock muffler 7T 3/8 15.09

ported 50cc 346 same as above 7T 3/8 12.22 same chain run on stock 346. ;)

Back