Groovy Rotator Screenshots

I feel exactly the same, after getting wickedly kicked by a sonofabitch, and i was the only one that cared for that animal. Took him out of his pasture to have some tasty grass, and wham! After that, I let him return to being a lazy good for nothing. Too friggen nervous....

Lol, you must been pissed at that.

What little experience I have with horses is most are skittish and can't be trusted.

You've raised horses and would say they're like dogs? Riding horses? Any disciplines? I know the bond that can form with a horse when time and training is put in on them. But to me they're not like dogs. They are a much more sensitive and subtle creature.

What I had meant in my previous post that lots of people mistake a horse checking them out, getting in their space, seeing if they've got anything to eat, seeing if they can make the person move and as such owning them in horse language as affection. Which it is not unless invited by the recipient.

To raise a horse from a young age I imagine could form quite an affectionate bond. I don't mean that horses aren't affectionate or that you shouldn't receive their affection. It just needs to be on the leaders terms.

If you are or have been around horses you get what I mean.

In order to safely own and use a horse, you have to be seen as the leader at all times similar to dogs. The difference is that that leadership and the challenges that come to it are much more subtle than with dogs.

IMO.

Yes my mom owned a horse stable and we trained and bred Andalusians for show and competition, dressage and driving. A horse is more like a toddler than a dog, I should say, but still very affectionate. There was an old brood mare who loved people and her babies and she did the exact opposite of what a mother horse should do to protect her baby from a stranger in the stall. She would encourage her baby to greet you instead of hide behind her and as a result imprinted on them. Her offspring were some of the boldest even tempered horses I have meet. Bossy was her name and she would give you a hug with her head and neck when you came in her stall very gentile and deliberate.
I guess I put in more time than most with them, cleaning the stall, lunging, bathing, putting them out in the paddocks, being there when they got weened, and every facet of their lives.

Training.
A horse need to build up muscles in order to carry a rider well.
Running in a relatively tight circle also helps build up spinal flexibility.

A skilled lunger can really give a horse a workout.

I got bit as a kid once, I did not know the horse and was trying to put it in a trailer. Every experience since has been bliss short of cleaning stalls:rolleyes:

We round pen, more than lunge. The round pen is well a round pen. When you occupy the center you can move the horse a lot while not moving much yourself. The groundwork is key. When you push a horse you assert your leadership. There are endless (nearly) nuances to how and were you apply pressure from the ground. Just like riding. I'm not the best rider but I'm a natural at reading/handling horses.

When I was riding most everyday, the horse that was available any time to me in the very large pasture next to my shop, at one point I went to only bareback. Except for getting drenched with the horses sweat between my legs, I much preferred it. I know absolutely nothing about disciplined riding, but I think for practical purposes I became pretty good at it. I always wondered if there might be a waterproof pad available that you could cinch around the horse? It seems like that would be comfortable and less slippery. A nice day, no shirt or shoes, riding a large area, I felt like an injun. Very much fun.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm thinking a lotta people don't even know about the rotator!

rotator.php

I've never seen a forum with a rotator before... anyone else?

I sure loved my Marlboros! :(

Attachments

• rotator aa.jpg
    rotator aa.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 32
Amazing that you don't gaff out, leaning in like that.

No gaffing out here unless I'm showing off.

But you're correct - I am quite amazing!

This was an odd gig, working out of a drainage ditch. We needed every inch of stick!

Attachments

• rotator.jpg
    rotator.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 50
Back