Alpine Magnum

sotc

Dormant hero!!
So Having used it only once, I found what everyone said was true, they don't like rocks. I didn't clear around the stump as reccomended and found some tiny rocks that dulled the teeth instantly. I still have high hopes for it but thats first experience.
It also wouldn't idle down with out dying which was annoying. Then I went looking through the parts box for a tooth gauge and no luck. Called the company and they said it was too expensive to give away, so I bought one for ten bucks after spending over 3600 (pic below). On the bright side it came with a spare set of teeth bolts.

Got some decals on today too

Attachments

• 0916101316a.jpg
    0916101316a.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 0916101420a.jpg
    0916101420a.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 0916101330a.jpg
    0916101330a.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 56
Willie
B4 I bought mine an old guy in Illinois cleaned two 14 & 8" pine stums proceeded to grind 4 sides of the stump.
basically carving out Two clean pegs about 10" high then he cut the peg off with his chainsaw and proceeded to grind deeper
had em done in under 20 minutes, no rocks though

Too bad you got that tooth gauge. I never use mine. No need. The depth gauges get decimated on rocks, and don't need lowering. Plus, I seldom get more than a couple sharpenings before the tooth are broken or toasted anyhow.

Tip, dig as much as you can....and use rock teeth most of the time. The regulars really dull easily.

I hae found that the tooth quality has improved since Keith started making them in house.

be sure to get a green wheel, and a mask

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
a few years back Husky marketed one that looked like a toy compared

I was very impressed with the quality of the machine and how it was packed :thumbup:
Willie
B4 I bought mine an old guy in Illinois cleaned two 14 & 8" pine stums proceeded to grind 4 sides of the stump.
basically carving out Two clean pegs about 10" high then he cut the peg off with his chainsaw and proceeded to grind deeper
had em done in under 20 minutes, no rocks though

Yeah, I know I need to figure out some technique and it will get better

Too bad you got that tooth gauge. I never use mine. No need. The depth gauges get decimated on rocks, and don't need lowering. Plus, I seldom get more than a couple sharpenings before the tooth are broken or toasted anyhow.

Tip, dig as much as you can....and use rock teeth most of the time. The regulars really dull easily.

I hae found that the tooth quality has improved since Keith started making them in house.

be sure to get a green wheel, and a mask

I bought another set of each type of tooth too

Nice Willie! Decals look good.

Seems like some areas are blessed with nothing but soil, and others, well, a lot of glacial outwash up here. I like the 2.5 pound head mini mattock, and the regular 5 pound head cutter mattock.

How's the vibration on those AMs, guys?

Vibration was something I didn't think of till I used it. Definatly wouldn't want to run it more than a couple hours!

The stumps I did were small but I was pretty happy with how little mess it made

a few years back Husky marketed one that looked like a toy compared

I have one with a Partner P100 powerhead........got it a long time ago. Ground a few largish stumps with it. If the teeth were sharp, it would work, sort of. But, there is no way to apply force to the stump short of actually pushing on the powerhead, which gets your body scary close to the action. Vibration levels very high. Many screws broke off.

Been meaning to see if Andy could fix the screws. Reckon someone might buy it for a couple huindred bucks. It's surely worth that much. Haven't touched it since I got my AM in early 2007.

Inclinations are still good overall, not enough experience with it to make a firm conclusion. Trying to be fair as this thread continues.

I did get a diamond wheel, heard good things about both and the green is cheap so I may get one after using the diamond a bit. Definatly going to get a cordless impact

People complain about the teeth strength. Would that be quite inferior to what you'd find on a regular stump grinder?

Tottaly different style Jay, these are like heavy duty chain saw teeth as opposed to a dished circle like most stumper teeth.

I see, thanks. I guess there are limitations given the power and handleability
(word?). Wonder if the teeth could still be improved upon?

I see, thanks. I guess there are limitations given the power and handleability
(word?). Wonder if the teeth could still be improved upon?

Too tough a tooth might rip the machine right out of yuor hands I would bet.

So I got use it a couple hours the other day and learned how little it is like a typical stumper. When I got things cleaned around the stump and regular teeth on, I was amazed at how much faster they cut than rock teeth. More to do tpmorow!

We're nothing but river rock here. I'd sooner guess tomorrow's winning lotto numbers than grind a stump without hitting a rock.

They all have carbide tips, just different angles and sizes

Are you using it much?

I nearly bought one years ago but I used to give those tight access jobs to a mate, he's out of it now and the way things are going here I'm thinking about it again.

Passed up a couple of jobs last week I couldn't get to, and could use it on four next week, save coming home to change over.

There's one for sale but it's a fair way from me.:dontknow:

Back