Recipe for canned jalapenos, anybody?

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
The greenhouse has been a great succes!

This will forever be remembered as" the summer of pesto":D
Also been gorging on 10 different sorts of tomatoes, still are in fact. Yum!

Now my chili crop is coming in. I have a nice amount of jalapenos, so I'd like to preserve some of them, like the ones you can buy in cans or jars.

It occured to me that those of you who don't live in subarctic climates probably do this on aregular basis.

So I'm looking for a good recipe/description of how to go about it.

Hopefully Peter will notice this thread, as we have had several jars of delicious preserved chillies from him and his wife as gifts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a couple from when we started up.
They'll have to do for now, it's pouring rain outside, not picture taking weather. P6120014.JPG P6120017.JPG

No, there is almost no sunlight in the winter here, so I'd have to use both heat and artificial light.
It would have to be a real cash crop ( like marihuanna;)) for that to be wortwhile.

My guess would be that's not an option, but it would be cool to be able to have a few plants all winter for something to tinker with. My wife is making jalapeno jelly today. I can get you a recipe later, after I get back from riding my dirt bike.

another light option, I used to wholesale a similar brand / product.
envirogrow-cf-lamps.jpg

No, those compact fluorescents don't do the job that an HID lamp do. They work OK for the vegetative stage, but when it's time to bud you need more light.

A black locust tree and in the background a field full of rape, rapeseed is the stuff you press to get cannola oil. rapsmark_hus.jpg

Nice pic Stig. I wonder why they call it canola oil and not rape seed oil?

Probably trying to avoid the word "rape".

I dont can them here.....fire roast them and freeze.

I just wanted to thank you for that idea.
I had an absolute bumper crop of jalapenos this year. Canned about 80 pints and pretty much gave up on the rest still hanging on the plants.
Then my partner, Richard, and I got to talking about your solution, and one day when he had to work on one of our machines, he set up a grill, and while working on the stumper, roasted everything left on the plants, bagged them, and later we gave them away to friends and neighbours.
I just tossed a bunch of them into a mediterranian lentil stew, I'm making and thought of your post.

Thanks, that will be how we'll deal with the excess jalapenos henceforth.

Back