24' Triple Extension Pole Saw

• Thread starter Knotahippie
  • Start date
  • Replies 66
  • Views 10K
K

Knotahippie

Who uses the triple or the quadruple extension pole saw?

I didn't until a couple years ago, now I wonder why.

It gets kinda' flexie, so cuts directly overhead don't work well, if at all.

Undercuts are impossible so it's cut to a long stub and then cut the stub. and hope it dosen't rip. Haven't had many prolems so far.

Went to look at this tree for a friend the other day. Competitive bids were a LOT more than what I charged; old Japanese road bicycle in trade.

To me it looked basic.

Every once in a while I come across a tree that I don't want to climb and climbing out to the ends on this tree didn't look like fun.

The three trees were planted about 40 yrs. ago but one had a bad crack in it.

Oh yeah, Robinia psuedoacacia.

A.K.A. brittle as hell tree.

The customer wanted to keep the damaged tree and I wasn't the only one to tell him it was a hazard.

I cut the back side so it wouldn't hit the house if it were to fail, then I cut the front so it wouldn't land in the road.

The whole thing took about 1.5 hrs. and a brand new saw blade.

Attachments

• 100_0470a.jpg
    100_0470a.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_0472a.jpg
    100_0472a.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_0465a.jpg
    100_0465a.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_0475.JPG
    100_0475.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 58
Back in the day I have used as much 40' of pole on the rare occasion, that was a wild SOB to deal with. Now I just use my lift and knock out that job in 10 minutes with comparitively no effort.

Making a cut straight down wasn't that terrible, but cutting at any angle (3 of your 4 lines) was a complete PITB.

Looks like the standard yellow Jameson poles. I have a couple 8'ers but mostly 6'ers because I bought them when I was still climbing for a living and they fit in the bed of my pickup without hanging over the tailgate. For most of my polesaw work I think the 6' poles are slightly more convenient. If you use 8' poles and need to cut something about 15' off the ground (which is most of your polesaw work), one pole is too short and two poles are too long.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
40'? Dang!

I'm using Jameson poles.

I was pretty surprised, a couple passes with the saw and then snap it off, cut the stub.

The weight of the saw does alot of the work.

I think it would have taken me another half hour to climb it (I'm not a legend)...with alot of running around in the tree.

Not to mention, I wasn't feelin' so hot after the weekend! Turned out to be a pretty relaxing monday.

The trunk looks different than they do here but the canopy is the same! Fortunatly for you they don't tear very far!

Frig that polesaw, I'd have climbed it.

Me too, I did 1 far worse than that a few weeks ago. The tree was pretty much dead and should have come out really but spec was was deadwood, preety much turned into a 50% reduction.
And pole saws give me neck ache:P

I've done 24' off a 10' ladder. Boy that was fun. It was SOP to do 18' with a pruner on top, trimming ornamental trees where I used to work. Now a days I've got the 16' orchard ladder (which is terrifying), so that brings me around 20', plus with 12' of pole I can reach 32' pretty easily.

I don't make a habit out of it. I really don't care for ladders, and like today, a quick throw with throwline, and a ride up on the wraptor makes for a pretty easy day. Gravity brings me down.

When I ran a manual crew ours got pretty much daily use. Not so much now that I'm in a bucket.

Any standard pole-saw over 12 feet is ungangly and a real sob to handle. If it really got down to the wire, literally, I'd saw the limb with a wire saw interfaced into a throwline. They do work, actually very well, and they wont get pinched in a cut either.

Never used a polesaw that far but ive used pruners at around 48 feet. Seven 6 foot sticks, plus my arms reach.

Using that many extensions is hard on the joints, neck, back and body. Id rather just climb it.

Those japanese String trees are strong. I would have climbed it.....

But it is nice to have a pole saw for that one.... etc.

Pole saws are good for groundies.....

My peeve is a green climber climbing with a pole saw. They just park in a honey crotch and do what they can with a pole saw......grrr

Ha- parking in a honey crotch....... I love it.

My major peeve as well.

Highclimber (cody) left his on the ground as long as he could today so he can learn to climb better. Impressed me, and when he did want it, he wanted the short one

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Uses for the tripple extension:

"Could you get that dead one too, way up there?"

"You missed a hanger"

"Bro, I need one branch cut, I got $20 for you!

"Dude, I left my pruner up in the tree...again."

Years ago I worked with one climber who did everything with the polesaw. He was ultra slow and would take 30 minutes to prune an area with the polesaw, only to move over to that spot so he could polesaw something 10' further out. He also had a bad habit of tying in halfway up the tree and saying "This is high enough for now". I hounded him on those two points for months. I teased him mercilessly about needing his 'p*ssy stick' because he woudn't get his butt up high enough to give himself a decent tie-in so he could trim the tree properly. I had lunch with him about 2 years ago and he told me that my pushing so hard made him a better climber. Made my day. :)

Back