Rec Climb Mariposa CA

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did not trust getting down under that ruptured mass to look. Prolly should. It's been whittled at over the years. Might be more safe to. Saddens me that it fell.

I was thinking when looking at the first pics, someone should cable it, there's no way it could last much longer.

Yep, the spread of that thing was unlike anything I've ver seen before.
It was really a fine experience to climb it with Stephen.

That is something more members should get into.
Visiting each other across countries and continents.

Thanks for bumping this, Butch.
Brought back some fine memories.

Looking at the pictures of the boys cracks me up. Seth is like 6'4" now :lol:

Levi definitely won't fit in a bucket anymore... :lol:

If cabling had been an option .... man o man that would have been a job!
By the look of the rot in the root crown, it was done. Lived it's life. Good we got to climb it before it was gone ....

Good thing it didn't go down while we were climbing it!

When we trained for that trip, we were climbing a huge oak with one very long horizontal branch.

I sort of made a sport out of seeing if I could get all the way to the tip ( Very low TIP).
After I managed it, using the 3 toed Sloth method for the last part, I felt pretty good about that climb, especially since none of the others wanted to try to duplicate it.

Two days later, we drove by the tree and that branch was on the ground.

Richard has been ribbing me about that ever since.

Felt that. As you know that tree lost a limb before it completely fell apart. It was the one I had ventured out on during our climb. Always makes you breath a sigh of relief knowing just how bad that could have been.

You guys ever have a groundman anchor your tail way out away from the tree (welll, flat-ish line-angle to you) to prevent a big swing-back should you pitch off, or the limb snaps?

I've thought about using a second anchor on the ground for that, but then i figured the pros don't so i have never done that lol

I usually do it my self with a preset line or the tail of my own. Just slap a fig 8 on it if you are using the tail. I always have the 8 on my saddle.,
If i preset a line for a double crotch, also to help me out there, I'll often have a hitch devise on it. Also in a pinch, when using my tail, just use a closed Blake's set up on the fly.
About all I would have the ground man do is attach the preset to my primary cl8mb rope to haul up to me.

Like a fail-safe in case you slip on a long limb walk. The tail end of your climbing line is anchored opposite your TIP so you won't swing back too far.

Ahhh - yea, never done that. Just get out there and get back again. That's why I said earlier to get as high in the tree as possible...

You guys never used your tail as a second tie in? This seems a variation of that. Unless I'm not following. Something simple and easy to have a extra set of hands do to prevent a swing.

Justin, I've done that tons... hey dude hold my tail from way over there in case i take a whip...

Stephen.... You are a Solid Reliable Efficient Professional Tree Care Service Provider and your work shows your heart and soul are involved.

Wide spreading jacked up trees are pretty challenging as well as the dusty breadsticks you come across daily....

Back