Double Line Rope Walker

gf beranek

Old Schooler
Here's a clip of a double line walking system I tweeked to eliminate the body thrusting. It works pretty well. I'll follow with another clip of using the system during an actual work scenario.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5-_GUggGMmM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5-_GUggGMmM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What a simple and efficient setup! :thumbup:
I guess the worst part of getting it 'dialed in' is simply getting the strap the right length so the second Pantin doesn't hit your friction hitch or the Pantin on your right foot.

I am supposed to work some more on my set up tomorrow with the foot loop... Should have mine dialed in better after tomorrow... still a hair long on one line. The video for the next step in the system will be very helpful indeed :D

Jerry, if you reverse the last crossover in your friction hitch, you should get a little less twisting of your lifeline on the descent. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the tip, Brian. I always wonder how that happens. Imagine me.

The rope though was hand coiled prior to the set and the main reason why there were so many hockles in the end. The inherent twist from hand coiling. But your point is right on.

Man when I'm coming out of a tree at the end of the day that is the last thing I want.

In a VT hitch, the wraps and braids both exert twist on the rope. If all the twisting is in the same direction, you get hockles. I was given the tip early on to face my braids to twist the lifeline in the opposite direction of the wraps, it makes a big difference.

And I want to make up one of those Pantin things. It just so happens that I have two Pantins so I just need to get some closeups from your video and get busy. :)

I didn't emphasize that the bungey was routed through the ring on my belt. Which keeps the pull on the pantine inline with the running part and keeps it from flipping off.

Typical of the pantine. A locking grab could be used but then you lose the ease of disengagement and engagement of the pantine.

It's one or the other. Take your pick.

I am also wondering if the pantin would provide smoother action traveling up the rope vs a mechanical grab ascender. Maybe just a bigger diameter bungee? I like the ease with how yours works Gerry. Let alone the fast engage and disengage from the system.

Depending on the type of saddle and rope system you use the double line rope walker will have to be tweeked to operate smooth as in the video.

It's just minor adjustments for the most part.

I am also wondering if the pantin would provide smoother action traveling up the rope vs a mechanical grab ascender. Maybe just a bigger diameter bungee? I like the ease with how yours works Gerry. Let alone the fast engage and disengage from the system.

Steve,

I chose the pantine because it is the lightest grab going and doesn't have the locking function. Easy in and easy out.

And too like the pantine itself, the assist of the walker is not PPE. It's just an assist.

That's awesome Jerry. I am going to give that a try. What diameter bungee chord are you using?

In the vid, Darin, the bungy cord is 1/8 inch, but not all bungy cord is created equal.

In a nutshell I went the smallest, the strongest, and the most stretchy.

Sweet and simple like all good ideas! I got my croll set up for my foot so I can try the pantin up the line8)

Back