Am I a wuss?

That happens every once in a while.
Best money I've made in tree work was on a job I didn't want or have time for. I didn't even pick up a saw, just sold the job, hired a good crew and watched other people work.

I try and do that as often as possible , heck ive had 8 surgeries so im due for some long term R&R

Heck is this tree done yet? If not the bid's going to have to go up as the bloody thing will have grown some more!:D

Andy I might be late to the table on this one. We just got back from Tulsa OK doing a hazard drop, then AR, Mo, and back to Kansas.
Anyway if you need help just call we will work it in somehow. That is good money on that tree. Looks to me like 4 to 5 hrs tops and 1 load with the grab truck, stump might take a hour or hour and a half with a smaller self propelled grinder. Anyway if you need a hand just call anytime. You have my #'s

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool Dave!
I've not heard back from the HO yet. We did the large Maple trim yeserday. Went really good, in and out, looks nice and everybody got to make some money. BUT, I think the climber is working around me with the HO. I'm not very happy about that!:evil:

The way things are setting up I will have little more to do with this than shag brush!
The climber has a guy that will chip for $100 and hour. Soundshigh until I did the math. $200 for the chipper thats going to mostly suck, $200 for the rolloff that is going to be in the way. So there is four hours. I'm still not sure how much weight it will be so say four tons, that's another $110.
I think that is the way to go on that one. Before it's ove I may just get paid to organize and stand around telling people what to do! I think I could handle that:lol:

I kinda figured that was happening from reading this post. It happens, but should only happen once if you know what I mean.
Pull the insurance card on him Andy tell the H.O. you have found someone to help you out that is fully insured, with all the equipment. Good luck

Just a little legal advice. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Just because you told the owner that you are not licensed or insure will not protect you from a lawsuit if something goes wrong. Having him sign a detailed waiver might help. But some states always side with the consumer, the figure the professional should know better. I live in Connecticut and would surely pass on it in this state. Your state may be different.

Thanks, But I am a total noob. Been a carpenter most of my life. The saws are much smaller:lol::lol::lol:. But running construction jobs I know how fast some simple things can go bad fast. I think no insurance on a tree that big, close to road and house with no insurance is pretty risky. I Seem to be getting ready for a career change. That is if I am not to old

Mike

I looked at the tree the other day. One lead over the house to the right needs to be dropped first because otherwise it would not clear the other oak in the yard. But once that lead is off it's a straightforward flopper. Yes, there's a lot of exposure involved, but the risk is relatively low if the cutter knows what he is doing. The back lead needs to swing about 15 degrees to clear the house but it would be safer to take it in one cut rather than trying to rig it all down in pieces over the house. Then the rest of the tree will have only a small amount of back lean and can be wedged over easily as long as a big headwind doesn't come up in the middle of the back cut. The tree will land in the street and about 4'-5' past the curb on the other side but it's a quiet street and people can easily go around the block for 30 minutes.

Sure, Dave. We are all at different levels of skill, just don't try to be something you're not and pretend you're some kind of expert if you're not. There are plenty of real experts here (like yourself) who can sniff out the bullshitters real fast.

I think that was of more interest to Brian than about anything else here:lol:

He gave me some very good advice to simplify that job, and a lot of food for thought when I aproach others. The moto "don't climb anymore than you have to for a removal" really stuck with me!

Let's see, I'll be 40 this summer, fat, and just learning to climb. Yeah, it's pretty true already:lol:

I went looking in the archives for old threads. Found this one, and was wondering how it all turned out, if you can remember? Did the climber completely screw you out of a job, or did he do the right thing and allow you to make some money on the deal? How would the more experienced guys on this forum prevent having work stolen out from under them in such a fashion?

Thanks for any answers folks choose to give. Just looking to generate some conversation.

Tim

Back