Timber Framing

PoleFramer is a cool cat from Oregon, He would post some pretty awesome stuff he was always working on.

Doesn't seem around here as often.

But, Great Pagoda There Brendon.

Yeah, that is pretty cool. I don't know if you want to start building that stuff for sale, but it looks like you are already on your way.

Sharpening a T-auger is easy. On the bigger ones you can just use a raker file and sharpen only on the inside of the cutters. If you sharpen on the outside, you will reduce the diameter, and it will bind in the hole. I'll see if I can get you some pics later when I upload some of the crooked work we did at Heartwood.

I had a whole long post with pics showing what I was working on and lost everything. For some reason the 'House is barely loading for me the last week.:?

I did get one pic to load. I'm cutting a small "frame" for a friends new garage. The shed roof part is going to be open storage. The ash timber in the pic is a real wonky piece of work. It was a challenge to cut, and I had to use a variety of tricks you normally don't need for square rule, such as snap lines and feather marks. I'll try to do a post when my connection is better sometime. Here's the one pic that loaded. Looks like two of them made it. The second is a feathermark, or a spot on a timber that is level. The mark is so you can put the level back in the same place. I like that you can select where in a post the attachment is used.:D

don3.jpg
don2.jpg

Jay, I'm still working on the Dutch barn restoration. It has to be finished by Nov. 1. Then I've got another one to start this winter.

I got my part of the frame done today and assembled. A friend of mine is the builder on this job, he will raise the wall tomorrow and put the rafters and roof on. I used a 3-4-5 brace on this frame, typically it's a 45 degree brace in square rule. Looks a little different. Hopefully I'll have a pic of the raised frame tomorrow. Plate and middle post are ash, outside posts are red oak, two braces are cherry and three are red oak.
don4.jpg

don5.jpg

Fine craftmanship Dave. I hope you are compensated accordingly in addition to the joy of practicing your art.

Thanks for the compliments.:)

I was well compensated for this job, and I will likely get more work from it as well. This will get a lot of exposure over time, a lot of people come to visit here, as well as the annual apple squeezing event bringing in a lot of visitors.

We got the frame up today. There will be 4x7 rafters going on tomorrow, as well as 2x hemlock roof decking that I sawed out a couple of years ago. It looks like the roof trusses land on the frame, but they don't, just a bad camera angle.

don6.jpg

Looks great!
All this timber frame talk has me thinking my new shop ought to be timber framed. Used to hang around a shop of TimberFramers years ago in Pennsylvania.
They didn't mind me watching and helping move timbers about. Just hauled out my books and started looking for tools.
I have a nice book called 'The Art of Japanese Joinery' ISBN: 0-8348-1516-8
It'd be neat to use some international joinery from that and 'English Historic Carpentry'

Not all timber framing but about making the fit did some of this with an uncle way cool!8)

Attachments

• IMG_0169 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0169 - Copy.jpg
    480.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0172.jpg
    IMG_0172.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 24
I like log houses, but all that wood makes my head spin sometimes. if I was going to build one, I think I'd get the squared off logs and sheet rock the inside. It's easier to interior design with finished walls.

An interesting blend of traditional log cabin construction and modern framing.

My sons friend put up a kit log cabin. He finished the interior walls with old barn siding. Way to much wood. I helped on the work party to put it up. It was kind of a circus. The owner was drilling a vertical hole for a wire run and drilled crooked. The bit came out through the log on the interior wall.

I like the architectural detail of exposed timber frame, but I'd go for a more standard wall and ceiling finish.
Geothermal heat through radiant floor tubing (PEX) under a tile floor

Great insulation properties with log houses, other than the floor and roof. Lots of settling has to be taken into consideration, I believe.

Paul,
The house is heated with wood 90% of the time and has been for years (Vermont Castings Defiant /w catalytic converter).
If we are away it switches to heat pump down to 37*F, below which the oil furnace kicks in.
The new shop will be heated with wood and a leg off the geothermal system. The house addition is going to have a large room, with lots of windows,
and a roll-into-the-shower-in-your-wheelchair style bathroom for when we get too old to be feeding a woodstove or climbing to the second story.
Solar will provide much of the electric for the heat exchanger/pump system for the geothermal.
In the next few years when the furnace is up for replacement I'll do the switch to geothermal and do away with the heat pump/ac unit and oil furnace.

Back