Timber Framing

No. The mason rebuilding the foundation offered them to us. All of the other stuff we have hewn so far came off the barn property.

Back on the original barn project. Stair opening through floor mocked up.

20190830_114945.jpg

Big foundation.

20190830_145618.jpg

Moving some long timbers in a small space. Getting the floor ready to mobilize once the foundation is ready.

20190903_135544.jpg

A lot of sketches of parts to figure out where all the joints go.

20190828_134318.jpg

Mega impressive in person, I'm sure.
Wish I had more time for a micro TF project. Strangers keep calling me to look at trees, for some reason.

Riving out peg blanks with the power froe by lantern light. These are 2x2 that will get quartered with an actual froe.

20190910_193156.jpg

Good stuff!

That mega shop, is that yours?

I learned what a froe was tonight.

Thanks.

Yes, a power froe is my wood splitter. My actual froe is broken. Not my shop, but same one I worked out of years ago. It's been subdivided, so only half as big now.

I just posted this in the articles thread but putting it here too, interested to see what Dave thinks of it

Article on 'mass timber' which is...

What’s the difference between mass timber and heavy timber?

Heavy timber is associated with a type of construction, Type IV, so there's a little bit of a definition overlap between a type of construction and a material. Whereas mass timber is referring to these large wood products, which are typically panelized and engineered, it doesn't necessarily exclude solid-sawn heavy timber elements. Mass timber is a broader and more material-specific word, whereas heavy timber has the traditional and very historical meaning related to a construction type.

If you say something is mass-timber, people are thinking about what materials are composing the structure, and it's not by default going into any construction type. It's like saying "steel" or "concrete." So mass timber is the other thing that's not steel or concrete. It's kind of like: precast is to concrete as mass-timber is to wood.

Here's the article re how mass timber can help get better utilization out of the forest and fight climate change

https://www.outsideonline.com/240157...climate-change

Back