Stihl 880 price?

• Thread starter Mr. Sir
  • Start date
  • Replies 105
  • Views 29K
I agree the 090 is a heavy beast. Cycles slow as well. Burl cutters like them around here. Also some milling guys use them.

Other than popping off the muffler checking cylinder walls, compression test, start it up, not much you can look for. If you buy it replace the filters, flush the bar oil and fuel tanks, run slightly more oil in the gas. Any problems will show up when you really need it most. ;)
Thanks, def. did all that before handing over the ca$$$$h. That and a free trimming of a Bradford pear at McDonald's by the interstate where we met. Got rid of all stubs 8' and lower from the ground... :/:

I think we'll run the stock 41" bar it came with most of the time, but might pick up a 59" bar as well so we have a backup chain loop in case we do wind up striking metal or included rocks. And in case any Patron Saints or Acolytes be worried, this oak was so YUGE that bore cutting with the 41" bar was still happening. And the wood was so dense, no Reon Roundhouse kick was going to bust out the notch piece. Took 2 of us to wiggle and push it out of the way.

Hahaha! Did you use that monster saw to prune a Bradford pear? Test cuts?
Good for you man, sounds like a badass machine!

While I do prefer basal pruning on Bradfords and that would've been a far more realistic use of the saw's power, I don't think McDonald's would've appreciated an unsolicited felled Bradford in their parking lot during Sunday breakfast time. But a few stubs cleaned up for free? Makes Ronald smile!

It's funny, either I've gotten stronger in the last year, or else the 880 (22lbs) is more manageable than the Husqy 3120XP (23lbs). Maybe just the weight distribution is different. But then again, the 3120 I handled had a 5' bar; this 880 is "just" a 41" bar.

I've got 5 saws over 100 cc that just collect dust sitting in the shed .It's so seldom in Ohio you find a tree over 3 feet in diameter they really aren't needed .For the 3 footers I've got a Stock 2100 Husqvarna and a souped up Stihl 038 magnum that do real well with 32" bars .

If I win the lottery, what big saws do you have?
Valentines day is coming up too..... ;)

I'm keeping my eyes open for another 066 and 088.

I knew there were Americans stockpiling M16s for when the Apocalypse comes.
Never heard of one stockpiling large felling saws before.

I like your way better, Al.

I just collect them,I'm odd that way --Stihl 084,2 Mac 125's ,1 Mac105 , the Homelite 2100S in the avatar picture .They'd most likely start up .If not it's just a carb refresh,no big deal .In addition to the Husqvarna 2100 I have two other 100 CC saws, Partner P100/McCulloch SP 1000 which are the same saw .One runs but needs piston rings and the other needs about every thing .Rings,bearings,seals etc .It was frozen solid when I got it .Not to worry I've got more tricks than a barrel full of monkeys on this stuff and it's unstuck and apart .Too damned cold to get excited about working on it at this time of the year .

You rule, Uncle Al.

My old 064 hasn't been run except to be started, let idle a bit, and rev a dozen times or so, in 4 years. Sad, I know. It's a helluva saw. Pulls it's 32 inch bar, full skip full chisel, like an old school Caterpillar D-8 :). Some might say it's not super dooper fast, I might disagree a little, but nobody would argue that doesn't have grunt to spare.

I sold my beloved 200t to Mike. It just wasn't fair to leave it in my toolbox unused for years... it was looking so sad!

When a 41" bar feels small...

I would've driven down to LA for that price! (And to meet the legend!) I've been known to drive upwards of some distance to pickup saws before... :/:
P1390365.JPG P1390373.JPG

P1390447.JPG
Felling it wasn't even the hardest challenge -- I'm sure we could've gotten away with the 36" 395XP for that duty. It was cutting it up into movable pieces where the <100cc's and 41" bar came into play. The 59" bar would've been even better for the cuts up to the main crotch.

Back