Stihl 880 price?

• Thread starter Mr. Sir
  • Start date
  • Replies 105
  • Views 29K
You guys who think the 880 is heavy, you must not be in very good shape, or haven't worked with the older big saws much. I mean it's a little heavy, but grab a 090 gear drive and have some real heavy with a tiny muffler. Vintage helps put things in perspective. Where's Magnus?

You guys who think the 880 is heavy, you must not be in very good shape, or haven't worked with the older big saws much. I mean it's a little heavy, but grab a 090 gear drive and have some real heavy with a tiny muffler. Vintage helps put things in perspective. Where's Magnus?

The 088/880 and 3120 ARE heavy. When I was younger and in kick ass shape running those saws in steep places like the Klamath, Olympics, etc. packing them on my shoulder up a 2000' climb up a ridgeline, yeah they are damn heavy saws. Trust me.:evil:

I used to pack an 076 with a 41" bar on it when I was young and in shape... good times, good times... my lower back and my shoulders reminds me of it everyday. :)

Gary

I don't think for a large saw that the big Stihls are bad at all They are about a pound lighter than either a 2100 Homey or a 125 Mac just as a comparison .

I'm not saying I would care to tote one all day but for the rare event you need a large saw they aren't bad .---and I'm an old fart too,so there .:P

Okay, so I've been wanting a Husqy 3120XP for over a year now; meanwhile we've cut down at least 8 monster trees that it would have been applicable for. We've also been kicking around the Stihl conversion, since we are unsatisfied with our dealer's service. Now, an opportunity has appeared to pick up an 088 tomorrow morning, perfect to finish the 6' DBH bur oak takedown that we started Thursday. Any former or current owners of an 088 or MS880 that could give any gotchas or things to look out for? I'm going to go see it at 8:30 am.

Well it was an 084AV but close enough for the girls I date.

The only saw that I've ever really needed the decompression.

Maybe do some light calisthenics beforehand.

The dawgs are just for show and some control when felling. With a sharp chain, the weight of it just melts through bucking cuts.

Well it was an 084AV but close enough for the girls I date.

Haha!

As for tips, I always tip the petrol out at the end and run the motor so there’s no petrol in the system, I can go for long periods without using it and you don’t want mixed petrol sitting around for weeks/months, yanking away on that cord is no fun.

Of course if you use alkalyte, or it gets more use than mine, not an issue.

I owned one for a while. Lots of torque but slow revving. It weighed a lot more than my ported 395XP and cut slower. Since I sold it several years ago I've had exactly one tree where it may have come in handy, but my 395XP managed just fine.

Run as short of a bar as you can get away with. Long bars and long chains seem to find metal much faster than shorter chains. And new long chains are guaranteed to hit something metal in the first 2-3 cuts. I spent more time sharpening the chain on my MS880 than I did cutting with it.

Not just a new long chain. Often when you file the chain and it is cutting like a raped ape you will find some uncuttable garbage buried within and pure joy turns to sadness and then to anger.

Other than popping off the muffler checking cylinder walls, compression test, start it up, not much you can look for. If you buy it replace the filters, flush the bar oil and fuel tanks, run slightly more oil in the gas. Any problems will show up when you really need it most. ;)

We use the 88 alot. If your thinking felling, sure the smaller saws work great. Low stump cuts the 88 works great. Our work is primarily back yard trees and a big selling point is for me to point out some ugly stump and mention how unsightly it looks...

Back