Stihl 880 price?

• Thread starter Mr. Sir
  • Start date
  • Replies 105
  • Views 29K
M

Mr. Sir

What can I expect to pay for a new Stihl 880 with a 60" bar?

you dont need an 088...ask Stig, just get a bar long enough for this TD

Get a 72 and a 42 for it instead. I'm with Bivy, you don't need it for one tree. It will be faster, but you will be out atleast 2 grand for saw and bar

Are you sure you need that saw? You'll be looking at anywhere from 1700-2000. A 660 will cut ANY tree that a man will commonly come across these days.

880 is a big arsenal saw.
Even with our big cottonwoods and willows up here we don't use a big saw like that much, if at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's the deal. My 660 has a 36" bar on it now. I called the local dealer to ask about a bigger bar and was told that the 660 maxes out at 36". :what: So I asked about the 880 with a 60" bar; $1759.00 + tax.

The tree I'm removing is a live oak, 70" DBH. The bottom cut at the root flare is probably over 100".

I have other big saws, but they have some issues;
The Jonsered 2094 has an ongoing muffler problem, it keeps falling off and I can't keep the bolts tight.
The Husky 3120XP has a bad clutch, I know, it's an easy fix, but I have to order it from..... Somewhere. No dealers nearby.

What is the biggest bar I can run on the 660?

"Maxes out", means exactly what? Is he referring to the power, or no longer bar will fit? For one tree, why go to all the expense?

There's 2 ways to look at a big boy loke an 880. One way is "why dump all that money?" You could nurse a 660 through the task and not be out 2k.
The other is "once it's paid for, its there to have in the future". its like the rest of the tools we own. It was an expense to acquire them, but once we got them, they wee there to earn their keep going forward.

I myself would not go buy an 880. Here in my neck of the woods there is NO use for one. A 90 some cc saw with a 36" bar is plenty here, usually. But, I dont live in the land of the monarchs either. If you buy that combo, how often will it make its way to the job? I feel that if it isnt out twice a month, than it isnt necessary.

Order that Husky 3120 clutch online and have it over nighted! Your already sitting on a monster saw why buy another?

Overnight the clutch from Bailey's for the 3120.

Helicoil the exhaust on the 2094

problem solved.

I agree. Fix the 3120 and get a big bar for it. Much, much cheaper than buying the 880 AND the big bar.

Yup, the 3120 is as much saw as an 880. Fix the 3120. If it has other issues besides the clutch, I'll be happy to look at it for you.

I have an 880 that I've used twice. Sometimes I think about selling it, but something might come up. I think about the 090 that way too. :)

a 660 should pull a 42 w/skip chain easy.

Our main butt saw is a 2171 (70cc class) with a 32" with skip and it pulls hard maples no problemo.

You're probably right. I tend to get glassy eyed and my brain goes numb when I think about big expensive toys... err, I mean equipment.

With skip I'd think you could run as big a bar as you want on your 660 just keep a jug of oil handy.;)

Yup, the 3120 is as much saw as an 880. Fix the 3120. If it has other issues besides the clutch, I'll be happy to look at it for you.

I might take you up on that offer. I'll have to check it out to see what's up. I let the crew use it for a while, so there may be other things wrong.

Another thing to keep in mind is the reason large saws such as the 880,3120 or even old ones like I own last so long is simply the fact they see little usage .

If you took a pole on just this one forum of owners of these large saw I would guess the yearly usage would average under 5 hours per year .If that much .

My suggestion ,repair the 3120 .

Back