Scandinavian filing stand

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That looks like a great idea, I'll have to try it.

How do you like the GB bar? I was thinking of getting one or two from Bailey's.

Love the GB bars, that is all I run nowadays.I buy a pallet of stuff from Baileys about once a year; bars, chain etc. With the low exchange rate on 4, chains only cost me less than a third of danish prices and bars are ½ price, good deal.
BTW I think the Stihl bars they sell in the US are different from the european ones, I hear you guys raving about them, and the ones we get stink, frankly. They are worse than Oregon.

Blinky, The tree is a maple ( acer pseudoplatanus) We only see ailanthus in gardens here.

Sotc, I was falling with my 441 and 18" bar, when I cut the filing stand. I just wanted to show that it also works with bigger saws and longer bars, so you guys could use it.
If I had had the 088 and 60" bar in the truck, I would have used that, just to prove the point:)

Last edited:
must be a Euro thing Stiggy, I remember being taught that on my first felling course when I was 14, although I was taught to put a pulp hook under the body of the sawe. Its a usefull trick in the woods.

Just make the stump higher, Gerry. Trees get thinner towards the top, you could be the first to sharpen a saw at 300 feet:D

Sotc, I was falling with my 441 and 18" bar, when I cut the filing stand. I just wanted to show that it also works with bigger saws and longer bars, so you guys could use it.

i was just jerkin your chain, i figured you had a 3 inch bar to fell the small tree with and just brought the big(ish) gun out for looks :D

Nice. The only thing that setup is missing is a seat, lol. I like to sit behind my saw and come over the top to file. In the woods without my custom filing bench, I take a short log stood on end for a seat and another about 6" taller with a kerf cut in it to hold the saw. Put them right next to each other, jump on and file away. It all works.

I will second the GB bars, they are very good for the money.

Seems like a lot of trouble just to sharpen a saw. :/: I just set it on the ground and sit on the motor for big saws, or kneel behind it for the little ones. Just git er done and get back to work. But I guess if you want to milk it out and take a long break, then by all means do some chainsaw carving or whatever to make a fancy stand. :roll:

j/k I think it's cute, really. :D

Seems like a lot of trouble just to sharpen a saw. :/: I just set it on the ground and sit on the motor for big saws, or kneel behind it for the little ones. Just git er done and get back to work. But I guess if you want to milk it out and take a long break, then by all means do some chainsaw carving or whatever to make a fancy stand. :roll:

Nice post![-o<:thumbdown:

j/k I think it's cute, really. :D

It takes me less than 30 seconds to make the stand. At my age and after 3 times kneesurgery it would take me a lot longer to get up after sitting on the saw:D

Glasses, knees, ditto...don't feel bad Stig...and I'm younger than you...
Thanks for the pics, I remember being showed that setup, but couldn't remember how it went exactly.

Stig,

I really liked the pictures you posted at the first of this thread. I have been taking down sweetgums at my son's house and decided to make a Scandinavian filing stand.

I made mine portable...it has worked very well so far. It really does make filing a lot more precise. I can file a few teeth, tilt the saw back slightly advance the chain and saw the next few..have only used it with my 019T and 029 so far but I like it.

I'll probably core out the center to make it lighter...can use it on the tailgate or sitting on the ground...much superior to what I was doing before.

Thanks much for the idea. 8)

Attachments

• IMG_5455.jpg
    IMG_5455.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5454.jpg
    IMG_5454.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5448.jpg
    IMG_5448.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5449.jpg