Camera Buff

vharrison

Island Girl
I know we have some excellent photo people on this board. I wonder what you think of the Canon eos 50 D and the lens that comes with it?

Roger's the Canon guy but the 50D is from the same line as the 20D which I know is a really solid DSLR geared for the serious amateur market.
The bottom line though is the glass. It's more important to have good lenses than a feature rich camera body. It's worth knowing that when you buy a lens for the 50D that, compared to a 35mm film camera, a given focal length will have a 1.6X increase in (apparent) magnification. It's because of the size of the imager which is smaller than a frame of 35mm film.

He's exactly right though. Alot of people go crazy with features on the body, and skimp on the glass, when it should be just the opposite of that. And he is also correct about the imaging compared to a conventional 35mm. There's different sensors througout the DSLR market with different aspect ratios. I consider myself an advanced ametuer in cameras, and Roger is the man to talk to. If he doesn't come along and see this, PM him Gigi and get his take on it. He'll be able to give you more info than you ever wanted.

This is a feature I would like:

he Canon EOS 50D's EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens offers image stabilisation, which allows you to take sharp photos at slower shutter speeds than other digital cameras. To test this, I took 2 handheld shots of the same subject with the same settings. The first shot was taken withImage Stabilisation turned off, the second with it turned on. Here is a 100% crop of the image to show the results. As you can see, with Image Stabilisation turned on, the images are much sharper than with anti-shake turned off. This feature really does seem to make a difference and could mean capturing a successful, sharp shot or missing the opportunity altogether.

Gigi, is the camera for yourself? If so, make sure you test ride it personally. I've held a few of the 'professional' digitals that could be the best camera's in the world but it wouldn't matter to me as they are so heavy/bulkly for my small feminine (hahaahahahahahaaaa) hands that I would have a hard time using them. You know, kinda like a Glock is....great gun, unless you have to use it.

Che, good point. I was looking at a D40 last year, but too small. Now I want a D300, too much money. Can't win.:roll:

Jerry, I think it's because of the grip. Most Glocks have a 'double stack' clip in the grip making it very wide, almost square. Difficult to get a comfortable grip if you have smaller than average hands.

The 50D is an excellent camera! Better built and better camera than the XT series. lighter, and cheaper than the 1D pro cameras like mine.

Here's a bunch of links:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=17499

This reviewer http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_50D.html notes that there's a kit which offers the good 28-135 IS lenses and camera for $1599. That lens would be a better fit if you only had one lens. And $200 extra is a $200 savings. He also notes that Canon might offer a kit with the 18-200, which is a really wide range zoom. sometimes the image quality drops with such a wide zoom range. Review here: http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_18-200_3p5-5p6_is_c16/

Another great review:
http://kenrockwell.com/canon/50d.htm

And a full review here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=140 a good lens to complement the 18-55IS would be the 70-300 f/4-5/6 IS (IS=image stabilization and is needed more on long lenses to allow for sharp low light photos. The non IS 70-300 will be cheaper. Would need a tripod for long shots....and with the 1.6 crop factor of the 50D sensor that lens becomes 113-480 mm, which means you can home in on that fisherman way off in the distance :/:

The 40D is on sale in most places and is a good buy "still" :)
+ 40D less noise in the pictures,
cheaper (more money left for good lenses)
+ 50D better display you can detail study the pictures direct after shooting it, micro af adjustment a nice thing to have if your lense back/front focus a bit, a bit better weather protection !

I got the 40D and like it alot wicked fast serial shooting and autofocus it is a camera to grow with for sure and the 50D is an upgrade so it can't be bad :D

Good luck with your camera buy and have fun using it !!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, a friend that gives photography lessons came over last night and gave us some tips on the new camera. Wow, we have a lot to learn. She gave us some homework, and we will meet again after the holidays. I have always wanted to know more about being a good photographer and looking forward to learning.

Sounds good for you guys, V. Stick with it until the camera feels comfortable in your hands, not confusing on how to use it. That's when it becomes quicker and a lot of fun. You'll learn quick if you start to use it frequently.

My dad asked me what i wanted for christmas so i told him i was saving up for a new camera lens. He asked which one so he decided to buy it for me. my wee EOS 350D (XTi, i think) is now sporting an EF 70 - 200 f4 L USM. I knew they were good but i never realised how much more vibrant the colours were, how much sharper they were and how much more consistant they were. funny how these things are more noticeable first hand. I now want to sell my other 3 lenses to get another L lens

heres my new baby:|:

DSC00275.jpg

Jamie

Nice! Are you sure you're not trying to overcompensate for something. :lol:

Just kidding, Jamie. ;) That's a beauty. Now post some pics! :D

nice lense you got, i've been looking at that one myself !!
now show some test pics plz :)

Mine's longer than yours. :P

Attachments

• HPIM0777.JPG
    HPIM0777.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 6
Back