Page 671 of 674 FirstFirst ... 171571621661669670671672673 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,710 of 6733

Thread: Tree felling vids

Cool
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

Barber pole that stick and get er done.
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.

TreeHouser

Jed,

Why do you talk about your hinges being "too fat"? or too fat on one side? You seem to know what you're doing but suffering from some serious delusions about the completely arbitrary and fictitious rule of hinge thickness. And I could look for some old rope to send out to ya if you need a pull line. I personally will set a pull line on front leaners if I'm there already cause "why not?" Watching you bang away on wedges without a pull line set makes me concerned for your well being.

And if you want to make your notches (and therefore your life) a little easier, learn the game of logging open face top angled cut first. Lots of good reasons to cut a Humboldt, but just cause it's what I know (or what I've seen) isn't one of them. and did you know I put this video out, showing the use of a carpenters T to check the gun of a notch in May 2010, well before Willard mentioned using one in a thread he started on the same subject?

https://youtu.be/W28q8sVJLOs?t=144

Cool video ... I see what you mean ; Iím no expert (more of a weekend warrior) at treefelling/work by no means ... by the same line of thinking wouldnít a wedge (with same open face but leaving uniform thickness hinge) heavy to the right cause the tree to drop slightly to the left and vice versa heavy to the left tree drops slightly to the right ... most likely not as pronounced as using the hinge to steer it but same idear ... Iím a fan of pull-lines also just in case ... Iíve also learned to use a heavy strap or chain above the face especially with forward leaning ash as it is prone to B.B. chair

Daniel: Thank you. Rope setting just takes longer. You're probably right, I think that I do tend to overrate hinge-thickness a bit too much, but I would strongly disagree if you insisted that I didn't matter at all.

Frankie: No. If I understand you, then I'd like to point out that the leverage that the wedge provides, while it can serve to help lift a side-leaner on the low side, has absolutey NO effect on the holding wood once one has tipped the tree past the Center of Gravity. Thanks for the response, though.

TreeHouser

Let me try to defrag your harddrive here Jed. The reason hinge thickness matters to you is becasue you are banging trees over on wedges, and if you leave them too thick they aren't going anywhere. With that little loader and a pull line you could leave a thick hinge and not have to worry about it. I've pulled some nasty side leaning silver mapes and such (terrible holding capabilities) with hinges 6" thick and more... great control.. don't care what anyone says.. seen it done it trust it

You don't live in the land of trees that readily barberchair and kill people, from the sounds of it. Hinge thickness matters. Being able to use wedges gets rid of the pull-rope/ machine crutch.

Good fellers can blow out an accurate face and tip it over easily, way faster than using ropes. Some days I don't even get a rope out of the truck.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

TreeHouser

you're not going to barber chair a tree with wedges, Sean... I'm still trying to figure out how setting a rope takes too much time... Like you're already there to take the top of the tree out. Maybe you wrap up your ropes and that's what takes too much time.. I stopped wrapping ropes in the '90s. I AM sure it's much different game based on trees and topography and familiarity of techniques. There is just too much upside to setting a rope and very little downside IMO

Quote Originally Posted by murphy4trees View Post
    . I personally will set a pull line on front leaners if I'm there already cause "why not?"
    Yikes.
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Yea, that doesn't make much sense unless you're just trying to kill time.