Page 654 of 655 FirstFirst ... 154554604644652653654655 LastLast
Results 6,531 to 6,540 of 6549

Thread: Tree felling vids

Multi-purpose trucks. That 's smart and very different than the direct pull under a tree without a redirect. Thanks for sharing Gary!

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

Ha! My pleasure. Sometimes seems like we are all out there skinning cats but in different ways. That's one reason I like this site....folks share...good for all.
    Gary

Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

Easy peasy Gary! Nice to do a job quickly (Relative) in that heat .
    Did you chock the wheels of the truck with the redirect?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick! View Post
    I managed to avoid that vid on social media until I accidentally clicked it, horrific, but shows one of the myriad ways you can hurt yourself very badly..
    Yeah I intend to avoid it too, hearing about it was enough.
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

Quote Originally Posted by pantheraba View Post
    Here's one we did today. Neighbor's poplar...I limbed about 2/3 of the tree to take off some weight and to get rid of the muscadine vines that had it intertwined with nearby trees.

We had a pullrope out into the woods at a 10 o'clock vector from the house...that went to a block out across a creek. That redirected the pull at an 8 0'clock vector thru the woods out to my truck.

Alex put a load balanced block for the 2nd redirect from my truck to his truck so he could pull straight down the road as I cut. He is standing in the bight in the pictures but that's only hand tight...no one there during tensioning.

We strapped the spar and I cut about 3 feet below the binder...had a good thick hinge to hold long enough to get it away from the house.

Seems like he might be pulling before you're cut up to the hinge, so bending the tree before its ready to go. Something to consider is the risk of barberchairing the tree as you're cutting it.
    Personally, I'll set wedges solidly, cut the hinge as I like it, then tip it over with a steady pull, on my word.

FWIW.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

We did pre-tension with the truck...that's why I had a strap/binder in it. We were on Sena coms...he saw the tree start moving the top as I approached the hinge and kept it moving. I just chased the cut as he pulled. With it bound up I felt good about the tension.

Bermy...as I made the face cut Alex asked if I thought we should chock my truck. I had not but told him it sounded like a good idea to me. So he did set chocks against the pull. It should be standard practice I think...we are still developing our standards.... Good question.
    Gary

Didn't know you strapped it, and were in communication. Whole different world.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

He ain't no fool!

I used to be!!!

(I do try to avoid it now....)
    Gary

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

He smart fortune cookie
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.