Tree felling vids

Sorry, I still don't get it...you never had windthrown rootwads stand back up when you buck the log off?

I'm obviously missing something, doh.

Happens regularly, Stephen. And more than one unaware soul has rued the day they didn't anticipate it.

I know of at least 3 instances where fatalities occured, not to the sawyer, but to bystanders under the rootwad.

And know of a few cutters hurt by that reaction by the rootwad, too.

Looked like a risky situation to me. Must be our type of soil and trees here that I have never seen it. They up root from wind and water, but not like that.

Oh, it is, you are right.

It's not a factor of wind, water, or any other reason the tree went down..it's all about the balance and angle between the root plate and the stem. I've seen root plates stand 30" dbh stems straight up, bucked at 41 feet from the "stump". The speed that bucked end moves is stunning.

If you haven't seen it, then you're lucky...don't overlook that possibility, ever. It can really bite a cutter in the azz, and really watch out for bystanders, family pets, and gear you might put in a "safe" place.

Thank you for the advise B... Dang 41 feet ??? Would be like a trebuchet, deadly. And anything under that root plate is goner.
I would imagine our large pines here are capable of making something like that possible. I have seen a dead oak over that had a huge root plate recent. Scary stuff for sure. I will be on guard sir!

Yup, looks like the sawyer knew exactly what was going to happen. That's why it was being filmed. He had most of the cut made before the camera started rolling and finished off the cut for the camera. Notice how slick the cut was? He didn't just start cutting from the top and power through, he had an undercut to prevent it from peeling or dragging the stem up into him. A very clean break and nice work.

In -76 I worked on clearcutting an area of spruce that had been partially knocked ower by storm, so a lot of the trees were down. Being a total greenhorn, I only owned one saw. On a friday my partner left for a dentist appointment, and no sooner had he gone, but I got my saw stuck, trying to cut through a log 3 meters from the stump ( 9½ feet ). I couldn't free it, without another saw and didn't like leaving it there for the weekend.
So I decided to see if I could free it by pounding a steel wedge into the cut. Well I pounded and pounded and nothing much happened. Then just as I was standing astraddle the log, the wedge cut through the remaining wood in the cut, freeing the log.

Airborne logger:\:

I flew about 20 feet and came down in a pile of branches and snow, with my balls knocked all the way up into my guts, it felt like.
I still remember the feeling of flying through the air, thinking: what happened?:D

I bucked the butt off a fir that was overhanging a road edge about 20 feet. Of course, when I tripped the buck the butt dropped down and end near me flew in the air. Standard procedure. But what I didn't know there was a limb still attached to it that I was straddling. Airborne again. Kind of walked bow legged there for couple days.

I'm glad that I rolled off the limb and didn't go down the hill with the log.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f0mMLdm7RgQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f0mMLdm7RgQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Some recent work from here and there:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N7UQFDqtwV8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N7UQFDqtwV8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm going to add some annotations to that one I think. I was rigging the first tree because it leaned away from the camera over a creek.

Back