Tree felling vids

The trick with a spear cut is all in the timing, cut most of the way through, let it tip towards the direction of fall, then sever the remaining wood ASAP. I really don't think he meant to spear cut it though.

Coppice culling: I don't usually climb to harvest firewood. But, this tree had a heavy lean opposite the only clear lay. So, it was limbed, topped & bucked while standing to avoid a hang-up and not damage some nearby young trees (& well). Besides, it was more fun. Listen for the unusual 'crack' at the end as the stem hit a large flat boulder on the ground.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ICPjA9lgfd0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nicely done JB. :)
I've heard of hanging weight on the pull rope, never tried it myself.
Thanks for the "higher up" view of your homestead, very nice. ;)

You were doin two things that give me the willies Jack.

Not using snap cuts while chunking vertical logs down.

Using the tip of your bar makin some of your pie cuts.

I only tell you these things cuz you're young and I don't want you gettin. I'd much prefer you learn how to do it with total control, like a pro, bro.

My apologies Jack, I thought your profile said 20 years old.

Not bad for 70 climbing wise mate, but please use snap cuts and avoid cuttin with the bar tip unless absolutely necessary.

Respectfully,

Jomo

I noticed that one of the limbs took a swipe at Jack as it went by. Nothing usual in my experience, however. Nice casual vid.

You were doin two things that give me the willies Jack.

Not using snap cuts while chunking vertical logs down.

Using the tip of your bar makin some of your pie cuts.

I only tell you these things cuz you're young and I don't want you gettin. I'd much prefer you learn how to do it with total control, like a pro, bro.

My apologies Jack, I thought your profile said 20 years old.

Not bad for 70 climbing wise mate, but please use snap cuts and avoid cuttin with the bar tip unless absolutely necessary.

Respectfully,

Jomo

:?

What is wrong with using the tip of your bar?
As a veteran borecutter, I use the tip constantly.

You don't think so Jay?

Opposite. What I meant, Chris, is that a person shouldn't really be telling people not to use the tip of the bar unless it was lawn guys (for example) doing side jobs up in trees. Professional tree workers know the hazards of saw operation as a rule, and presumably make their choices with intelligence. As Jerry points out, knowing what you are doing is the key.

It'll kick back if you don't have a firm grip on it and know what you're doing before hand.

Of course it will.
I just thought this was a forum for professional saw users.
That is why I didn't understand the concern about tip cutting.

Back