Tree felling vids

I don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh. So to speak

Man, internet connectivity is a rough go when you live out in the tule berries... the company's gopo has just set in the truck lately, cause I can't get stuff to upload. Here's a cottonwood stem that I felled for another foreman (in vid) on a super gusty day. I was told that all the fruit trees HAD to save out.https://youtu.be/vIUuA2-sIbc

Talk about a lucky shot:lol:... man... it was like I got a micro-calm out of the wind right as the back cut went home. :|:

Bullshit, Jed. That is a masterful fell with absolutely no luck involved.

Jed likes to roll over but video doesn't lie. He's got a lot more going on than he lets on. I'm beginning to think he makes some of those falls harder than they have to be, just for the fun of it. I had an old climbing mentor that would always do that to me. Leave the log long enough so that a perfect shot would make the lay when another 10'+ off the top would have made it a wide-open DZ.

If I had enough light left this evening I would have taken a picture of my avocado stump up at about 10'...it was
'Jed-esque'...haha, thin level and parallel...turned the 6' lump just right to miss the edge of the patio...channelling all my treehouse mentors!

It's so stinkin fun, though, isn't it Fi!!

You guys are all WAAAYYY to stinkin nice though. Specially you Burnham.

I gotta get these stinkin Lombardies to upload. :X:X:|::X:X:|:....

It was great, both homeowners watching, put it right where it needed to go.
The front and back limbs went first, then that top section down to the join, then a hunka lumpa of the trunk...done by dark.

Attachments

• 20191016_173208.jpg
    20191016_173208.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 42
You are mighty kind, Jed.

There were days back a good while ago when you flailed about at the felling cuts...but those days are gone, good sir. Sure, we all miss the mark on occasion, no matter how deep and wide our experience. But you are pretty consistently putting the pitch right into the upper inside corner, at +95 mph, these days. Kudos, my friend.

Apologies to our members from places where baseball analogies are fuzzy at best :). Shorthand...imo Jed is operating at a very high degree of skill at this point in his career.

Dang. Shucks. Thanks Fi. Thanks B. Ya'll are so kind. Man, a guy who lives in deep sticks is hard-pressed to get a decent vid up now and again.

Stig. I literally laughed out loud about you and Burnham. ;) Yer a good man.

With a lever you can double or triple the size of log you take.
Every bit of energy you save helps, especially as the years catch up.

With a lever you can double or triple the size of log you take.
Every bit of energy you save helps, especially as the years catch up.
Those are snap cuts Mick, no hinge. 8 - 10 ft the biggest ones. I wouldn't like to snap cut 3 times those lengths.

If I wanted them longer Id put a deep undercut so itd just just tip forward on its own. But Dave needed to be able to move these on his single handed.

Great job!

Sometimes I get nostalgic and wish I was climbing again. Then I see a video like this and I'm glad I'm not. That's too much like work. :D

Some work from yesterday

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow ! That’s something else the way that spar was dancing around with you up the tree like that ... maybe an optical illusion from my vantage : looked like 14” diameter or less ... not cut out for that endeavor ; guess I’d need brown pants if I were !!! :lol:

I enjoyed the video and as always, nicely done. I really like how you and Dave match the work up together. I’m really struggling with a lot of climbers that can’t see how getting the tree down fast isn’t the most important thing. They can’t grasp the whole job concept

I enjoyed the video and as always, nicely done. I really like how you and Dave match the work up together. I’m really struggling with a lot of climbers that can’t see how getting the tree down fast isn’t the most important thing. They can’t grasp the whole job concept
I had all the brush off in the morning, Rich....including 2 other trees not in the videos. But then I came down and we got all the chipping done. It was a bit of a mess to sort out, but its still better than getting caught out by the wind in such tall skinny trees later in the day. Once the brush is off you're safe. Doesn't matter what the weather does thereafter.

Looked well planned to me. I noticed the quick limbing but went to a zip line later in the video. Also the more maneuverable pieces of wood. It seems most of the guys I deal with can’t climb to suit the job. They just make a disaster and want an atta boy for burying the ground crew and ultimately making the job take longer

Back