Tree felling vids

Thanks, though my forte is residential....while this is somewhat different. Martin, the other guy is a BC certified faller. This is his domain. Im just there to share the load, and hopefully make things go quick and smooth anyway in I can. Some of the nastiest trees Ill have ever put a saw in are further up that hillside. Terrible underfoot, not many escape options. A big part of me doesn't even want to be there....but having seen the risks, Id hate the thought of Martin being on that job with a lesser body. He'll get 110% of my focus and diligence. Its not about the money

I should mention too is its a 4 hour drive from my place. Yesterday I was on the road at 3am, back at 10:30 due to heavy snowfall

A couple hours water bottles in your sleeping bag and good to go; lots of danger driving like that.

I didn't get hypothermia for three weeks with (2) liter bottles, wrapped in a fleece jacket in the bottom of my sleeping bag at night in Colorado in October, 10-12,000', worn out gear.

When Dahlia was born, and I was sleep-deprived, I could do the heart-pumping work all day, but was super tired driving afterward. I drive the morning commute, my supervisor drive home every day. Way safer.

Take care!

Yup, driving tired is awfully hard to do...I've had some scary moments over the years, for sure. Lucky to have dodged badness from time to time, in reality.

I knew when the slap became ineffective it was time to pull over. When I worked on the island I pulled 15 day straight shifts. On the fifteenth day I'd work, boat or fly out of camp. Drive a couple/few hours down to Nanaimo, take a couple HR ferry across to van city and then drive five hrs to the interior, sometimes being up for 24hrs or close to while already exhausted. The slap served me well, never fell asleep at the wheel.

This one was fun... out of the box solutions:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cpb9dDF-Sdw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I keep a can of Mønster energy drink in the truck for when I start nodding off.
Since I don't normally drink coffee, so am unaccustomed to caffeine, that'll wake me up, pronto!

After we switched our modus operandi to " Has chainsaw, will travel!", I typically spend 2½ hours on the road, every day.

We often used to drive up to two hours away for work, my grounds man was so nervous of my driving he’d bring sugary chewy sweets, which he’d dole out when I started to wander around a bit.

I keep a can of Mønster energy drink in the truck for when I start nodding off.
Since I don't normally drink coffee, so am unaccustomed to caffeine, that'll wake me up, pronto!

After we switched our modus operandi to " Has chainsaw, will travel!", I typically spend 2½ hours on the road, every day.

I am surprised you actually drink that garbage. Lots of things in there is so bad for you, but if it's a just incase kind of thing I suppose.

NO WAY I'd drink that shit regularly.

It is simply an emergency thing.

What happened was that Richard and I did a friday after work winter run down to Munich to pick up a motorcycle for me.

Logging in bad weather for 8 hours and then driving about 1100 Km in the dark.
The stupidity of youth, right!
At age 58.
Go figure.

I started nodding off and Richard, knowing I can't handle caffeine, suggested I drink a couple of cans of Red Bull.
First time I ever tried that stuff.

He later told me that we could have switched the headlights off, my eyes were that bright!

LOL! Yeah working in the cold really saps the will to stay awake at the end of the day for sure and to drive 1100km on top of that. NO.

Slight change of plans next week now. More Cathedral grove hazard trees been thrown into the mix for Tuesday. Then back upto Kennedy lake wed, thurs, fri. They've also offered to pay for a motel in Ucluelet, which is only a 40 drive from the the cliffside site. So, a week of big trees but much less of a commuting headache.

Back