Tree felling vids

Diagonal cut first is what is taught here, has been for some years. Reasoning is that once you start the cut you've set the direction, and all you have to do is line up the horizontal cut.

That is exactly why I don't like the method, you only have one chance to set the direction. With the horizontal cut first, you have plenty of time/choices to evaluate the direction and, if necessary, alter it.

Yet, bottom line, seems like both methods are essentially equal re the possibility of cutting wrong and having to recut or adjust the face. They both rely equally on visualization and estimation.

You can set the direction over and over with the angled cut first method. Eventually you'll start chewing deeper into the tree after awhile but that's no different then making the horizontal cut first and gnawing here and there until you've got it set right.

Willie that was a hell of a whack someone took out of the bucket. I tip my hat. These go pros are deceiving but based on just the diameter, using the saw bar as a gauge, that looked to be a hell of a top that got cut in one shot.

Ya, I was relieved to see those wedges sliding in easily after the back cut progressed.. Willie provides some entertaining vids.

That's the same top that was on Facebook Chris, just different angle. We knew it had head lean but wedges are prudent.
Not as entertaining as August, I don't know how to do the music and such but we have gobs of footage. I was hoping my Secretary would be more into the video editing but I guess she'll only get some marketing stuff for me. I may have to do some rough clips

Augusts videos are the exception, not the rule. He sort of took that scene to a whole new level. Comparing good quality footage to his videos isn't really a fair comparison. If his work is the standard, then pretty much every other video out there would be garbage. You follow? He's in a whole different end of putting together footage. It's like comparing Jerry B's top he cut out of that redwood to tops the rest of us cut out of trees. It's apples to oranges.

With how big a saw and bar can you do the diagonal first? I go from horizontal, getting down low to aim my gunning sight, then pivot on the 'dog'whether conventional or Humboldt. Good ergonomics. I sight through the horizontal kerf 'window' to see my bar tip. If I'm on target, the wedge moves when I'm there. Sometime a little bump up or down with the saw gets the wedge to break the final tiny bit of fiber free.

Anyone do a Humboldt with the sloping cut first?

Haha, yeah, he can even make a small tree ridiculously entertaining.
I get bored easily, even this video I normally would not even record a face cut cause I like to see stuff moving! Just seemed kinda ok to put a couple in there This time.

That is exactly why I don't like the method, you only have one chance to set the direction. With the horizontal cut first, you have plenty of time/choices to evaluate the direction and, if necessary, alter it.

Yet, bottom line, seems like both methods are essentially equal re the possibility of cutting wrong and having to recut or adjust the face. They both rely equally on visualization and estimation.

By the time you start cutting, you should have decided on the direction IMO. Only playing devils advocate here, I often make the horizontal cut first, especially on big trees, purely so the wedge doesn't sit down on the bar.

By the time you start cutting, you should have decided on the direction IMO.

Yes the direction you want is a given, it's just a question of getting the saw lined up properly to that direction. Easier with the horizontal cut first imo, but I agree to disagree.:drink:

It's a matter of taste. There's no right or wrong answer. Do you crap before brushing your teeth in the morning or after? Either way the end result is the same. Strictly preference. We can never say which guy is right or wrong in his sequence if both guys hit their mark with the tree in the end.

The only time I don't do the wide open face cut is if I have alot of trees to fell like several days of ROW or land clearing.
That long diagonal cut is way too slow but if I have a couple of tender loving care trees to drop I'll use it.
Rather then cut a waist high stump I'll kneel down and perform the cuts.

The only time I don't do the wide open face cut is if I have alot of trees to fell like several days of ROW or land clearing.
That long diagonal cut is way to slow but if I have a couple of tender loving trees to drop I'll use it.
Rather then cut a waist high stump I'll kneel down and perform the cuts.

Strange you say that Willard, a couple of fallers out here have said to me "jamais a genoux" meaning never on your knees because it takes too long to get to your feet and run.
Do you kneel on your back cut as well?

Do you kneel on your back cut as well?
No I don't :lol:
When I made a living hand falling I was quite flexible keeping those stumps near the ground and never had to kneel.

Firewood bucking on the ground sometimes calls for kneeling to keep the sawchain out of the dirt though.

Anyone do a Humboldt with the sloping cut first?

Excellent question, and I'll be shocked if anyone say ye.
That's a two way question. When I logged old growth sawlog spruce I had to make the humboldt diagonal upward cut first, horizontal second.
Now a open face notch with a humboldt would be a 90 -110 degree open face notch. And yes make the top diagonal cut first.

You like jonsereds? As a husky user, I enjoy their performance but I don't care for the ergonomics.

Now that's straight ironic. I've never even run a Jonsered. I made my earlier comment about them because I used to know a seasoned faller who praised them top to bottom, but mainly for their ergonomics!

I can tell neither your height nor your build from your avatar. He was a super lanky fellow like myself, but he also praised their throttle response, and top end rpm. That was over ten years ago... I think well before the Husqy/Jonsered merger.

I'm 5'7, trim, and wide framed, especially in the shoulders. Not a hulking specimen by any means. Jonsered handlebars run just about straight across the top of the saw. No angle like stihl and husky saws. It makes you feel initially like you are reaching way out for the handle bar. The ergonomics suck. I can adjust after awhile but when I first pick one up its feels bogus.

O.k. he was right about my height, (6'1") and he said that it would have perfect balance running long bars on a pretty small motorhead. (Something that all East Coast guys seem to hate) So, (to me at any rate) all this is really interesting based on your "reaching for the handlebar," comment. Might be a PNW longbar thing?

Back