Tree felling vids

I enjoyed it Dan. I do goofy stuff all the time justa see what'll happen. I did a goofball pulling stunt around some power lines Friday. Can't get the vid to upload cause our Snoqualmie internet is a tad slow. :lol: I'll get er one of these days though. I deserve a lot more flak than you for this one. :|:

Was that an Ash? I'd be scared goofing around with Ash trees, but that's just me.

I wasn't goofing around... I was putting a big tree on the ground with an undersized bar at 5:43 in the afternoon, the day before a big rain. The bar was so short I wouldn't have been able to buck it without the BBC. Though it would have gone differently without the camera. If I had kept cutting, it was very unlikely to BBC.

Some people are freaking out (Rico in particular) over the demonstration of BBBC on video. EAB just made it to town and we've got a lot of big ash tree dead and dying. It's going to be this way for a few years. I looked at the 12K+ worth of ash removals over the last two days and will from time to time think about using an intentional BBC on them.

O.k. man, well... rock on then, but if you get pinched doing that crazy stuff, just leave the stupid saw and get the heck outa there. That's some pretty crazy stuff you seem bent on doing there Daniel. It only takes ONCE man.

This coming from a guy who takes his chain brakes off his top-handles. :|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|: :|: :|:

Whaaaaaattttttt.......? Why would you guys do that? Weight saving or something? I thought a chain break is like putting the saw in park, i won't even hang it without it, not even full lanyard length....

me neither... love a good chain brake... one click and you can stumble around like a wino safely

crazy is as crazy does..

the laws of physics are immutable (for the most part)... that's the beauty of tree work .. there is always a why when it comes to what happened.. It ALL happened for a reason... Sometimes that why gets pretty complicated to the point that very few if any people actually nderstand the why.. and sometimes not understanding the why can cost a good man his life... I enjoy figuring out the why and then using that understanding to solve problems in a way that many here and elsewhere have considered dangerous. BBC don't scare me as long as they are expected. And experimenting with them has lead me to understand ways of avoiding them that are simple and effective.

so I generally will explain the why, as far as I understand it. It pushes the envelope along and there is a lot of value to sharing ideas even if it looks like we hate each other along the way...

Maybe this guy could ahve walked away from this tree if he had learned aout BBC too..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qPAdRfu9-l4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Butch: That's funny... I learned that off a some old logger guys out here, lol.

Alright Daniel, I'm givin ya a run fer yer money!

This next one might be entitled: Silly Stunts with Small Trees, or: 48yr. old Man Desires Attention from Peers, or, Man Willing to Possibly Cause Temporary Power Outage in Order to Save Five Minutes Felling Trees... OR... Idiots with Chainsaws Part 17. You decide...https://youtu.be/39lEH8ichpU

Jed,
there is a "share" link just below the vid on youtube. click on embed and copy the lengthy url.. and paste as such:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/39lEH8ichpU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gotta say I wasn't there but I would have at least set a pull-line with the road and power lines in possible play... I did have to chuckle though and would give you high marks for the entertainment factor..

Like the low tie off to allow the first tree to get going before it pulls on the second one... pretty creative "monkey business"

Seems like your skills are plenty good and you are cutting with confidence... "far too fat of a hinge" where did that come from?

This coming from a guy who takes his chain brakes off his top-handles. :

Ha I remember doing that, had forgotten. I took em off all the large saws, I believe the thinking was because they were junky, blocked views, and a skilled op shouldn't need them. Then brakes got better over time and one of my guys cut his leg, so that phase went away.

Any way, great vid! A cool set up and saved a bunch time and work. Well done :drink:

What criteria need to be met for a situation to call for a backcut to go in before a facecut? Thanks for posting the video Jed.

Back cut first in Buckin Billy Ray style. It ‘‘twas a bit foolish Jed, but you know what you’re doing. If it went wrong you could have quickly said that there was a miscommunication between you and the two trees while stressing the fact that communication should be clearer.

Back cut first method can be used on a back leaner where the notch (facecut) would cause the tree to rock back further or when there won’t be enough room for the back cut to get a wedge pounded in before the bar gets pinched. Only have done it a couple of times in my career. Also learned it here. Possibly from Jed posting BBR’s video.

Daniel: PNW guys generally suck at setting lines because this place is generally covered in thigh-deep Salal, Oregon Grape, Fern, Blackberry or even Devil's Club. This place does NOT like beanbags... at all. We definitely could have set lines on this one, but we are generally ill-prepaired, and, at that moment, did not even have one on the truck. :|: Ohh... The "far too fat of a hinge,".... Our Black Cottonwoods barber chair rather readily... not like our Alders, but still, they can, and ideally, a guy would have cut the head-leaner stem up rather finer than what I had done.

Dude: Quit showin off!!! I've been trying to imbed vids fer like... 5 years now. :|::|:

Butch: I swear the no chain-brake makes me carefuller. :|: (I drive better after a coupla drinks, etc.):|::|:

Corey: Yeah... Weird thing is... had the centrifugal brake still been operative... Yer guy woulda probly still cut his leg.

Ryan: 1st criterion: You must be too lazy to set a line. 2nd criterion: The tree must be backweighted to the extent that even an extremely shallow facecut can be expected to compound the compression force on the back so much, that even a blunt-wedge will be problematic after a merely bar-deep backcut has been initiated. In my area, we've all been there, and it's no fun... tap, tap, cut, cut, tickle, tap, wedge yer saw into the tree, back the wedge out with the axe, nibble, tickle, tap till you're cut-up, and finally bang it over. Ya look like an idiot, and it took forever. HOWEVER!! The back cut first, has it's NUMEROUS and notorious pitfalls, and a guy should practice in a non-smashable area.

That is surprising for a vet like you

I tend to set lines or dismantle the tree first. Different type of work I guess. Also I have to mitigate risk more than most. Most of my work is now in ROW where the property owners are looking for any reason to throw a fit. It’s been as bad as they’ve constructed vinyl fences over night ( right at the ROW line) to make things a PITA. Hard to pull certain things off knowing that a lawsuit is awaiting a small error.

I just about always set lines, too. Walking up and throwing a tree was a rare pleasure! I always felt like Paul Bunyan!

Daniel, nice result for a barberchair attempt, but...
BBC don't scare me as long as they are expected. And experimenting with them has lead me to understand ways of avoiding them that are simple and effective.
I completely agree on the second part and I'm all for experimenting, but for the first part of the sentence, I'd say that you should stay a tad scared. I find you are way too much confident to fiddle like that in the red zone. You have a risky situation (lean, wood characteristics), you make it intentionally worse by the choice of the cutting action to get what you are looking for. Fine for me. But get out of there ! At least put some room between you and the danger zone. Don't be a casualty in the name of the science.

Jed, I like your vid.
What I don't get is why the hurry cut at the end on the second tree. All was finely set and both of the trees start to move as expected. Easy to say that from the back, there's so few time to react at the moment. But I wouldn't want to weaken the second hinge more than the initial setting to be sure to fully rotate the first tree.

Barberchair protection cuts are readily available...in some place, you life depends on it.

Some people retune their saws leaner for higher chain speed in a stand of alder.

I rarely back-cut first. No real reason to need to do it, in almost all situations. I'll cut half the back-cut, and slam a wedge, then cut the other half. If you're used to double-cutting with a short bar, you just already have this in the toolbox. Big trees, you can bore through the face, and set a wedge in the center of the back-cut, cut up a side, set a wedge, cut up the other side of holding wood.

Suddenly loading that stem up, especially opposite its lean, with a heavy stem, could induce a barberchair in the backleaner.

Jed, I really enjoyed that video.
I would most likely have done it the same way, only set the tie-together rope somewhat higher.
Nice and competently done except for that last stunt wint the hinge.
Why even do that, the tree was going over and you had a rope around it so no chance of a barberchair.

I would have at least cut both face notches first and use that long bar to do the back cuts at the same time. It looked like you were fighting your better judgement on whether to finish the cut or get away. No reason why a pull rope couldn't have been set from what I can see.

Back