Tree felling vids

That was some interesting sizwell footage, thanks!

How do the folks at Eastside like your vids so far?

Do you go up in the terex much?

I haven't had to share any so far Corey, since Jakes' footage is leading the charge. They're trying to solicit the attentions of some TV show producers, and are (I'm told) meeting with some success. :fart2:

Sure, we fly the bucket for powerlines, com-lines and hedges, and stuff.

I would gladly apologize to Marc Antione for this next video. It is basically nothing. I have realized that all I really like about video is it's partial ability to display what is happening in the wood when a given man, be he Jed or Daniel Murphy (who are almost the exact same person, if we're honest) puts a cut in it. It's not OUR FAULT that Gerry, Butch, Corey and Graeme, cut all of the decent trees down before any of us decent folk could get our greedy little hands on it!!!
https://youtu.be/xHfmWDh8sjI

While your falling skills seem much better than you let on, with all your self deprecating humor, please leave my name out of it! Thank you..

and BTW.. LOVED THAT VID!!!!

Daniel: Sorry bud. Point taken. I DID, however, make a positive reference to you in a vid, that I made today, that I intend to post this weekend, on the "Level Stumps on Steep Ground," thread. I was just indicatating that I admired your aloofness from the castigating tendancies of others to denounce us wood geeks as, "Much Ado About Nothing," type of folk.

Dude, I can't edit it out of the vid. I don't know how.

Here's a run-o-the-mill Hemlock top.

https://youtu.be/8kD_YkSda7g

Hey, btw, Daniel, Have you ever heard of a treeman from Nazareth named Chris Maragulia??? I'd be deeply interested if you had heard anything about him.

Good video...good share, bro! Did you tweak that axe handle at the end to tip the top or did the hinge finally give in to the wedge?

yeah fun vid. You dominate the short vid space

I was scared to see this axe just pushed in the kerf. What if you miss the grip on the handle, like you missed the wedge? I wouldn't call it a good day, with a free falling axe.

Jed, Are you in a 50'er?! I didn't think they existed out in your neck of the woods. :lol:
That one was about 80' Rajan.

Gary: Thanks, no, the wedge got er'. ;)

Marc Antoine: I see your point, but you should know that I never let the ground-guys under when I get to that part. When ascending, the axe is stuffed into a goofy utility loop that doesn't let it in or out redily, which is why I have to weld a steel loop on the top of it for a biner.

Stephen/Corey: Hemlocks can be tedious to climb. The branches can be incredibly tight-spaced for a Puget Sound tree, and the branch collars are amazingly tough. Those collars put up more of a fight against a top-handle than even Fir. A guy doesn't wanna go any further than he has to.

I'm more of a wedge over an essentially neutral top type. No need to climb higher. Less work with a wedge and banger. I taped a bight of rope solidly to the (shorted to hatchet length) ax handle, as a clip-in loop.

That one was about 80' Rajan.

Gary: Thanks, no, the wedge got er'. ;)

Marc Antoine: I see your point, but you should know that I never let the ground-guys under when I get to that part. When ascending, the axe is stuffed into a goofy utility loop that doesn't let it in or out redily, which is why I have to weld a steel loop on the top of it for a biner.

Stephen/Corey: Hemlocks can be tedious to climb. The branches can be incredibly tight-spaced for a Puget Sound tree, and the branch collars are amazingly tough. Those collars put up more of a fight against a top-handle than even Fir. A guy doesn't wanna go any further than he has to.

80'er, ok that's better carry on.

I'm more of a wedge over an essentially neutral top type. No need to climb higher. Less work with a wedge and banger. I taped a bight of rope solidly to the (shorted to hatchet length) ax handle, as a clip-in loop.

Ya, if you're going up with any tool it should be easily secured to your saddle... keeping Murphy's law at bay.

Long ago, in the days of rock climbers carrying Nalgene bottles on multi-pitch routes, people made loop slings out of 1" webbing, which was duct taped to the their bottles. The cap lanyard as a clip-in was a rookie move, going overhead.

Modified wedges, with keeper cords can also clip to the same carabiner.

Hemlocks can be tedious to climb. The branches can be incredibly tight-spaced for a Puget Sound tree, and the branch collars are amazingly tough. .

When ascending, are you always tied in or is it so limby that you free climb like as is allowed afaik by the Forest Service when climbing limby trees?

Long ago, in the days of rock climbers carrying Nalgene bottles on multi-pitch routes, people made loop slings out of 1" webbing, which was duct taped to the their bottles. The cap lanyard as a clip-in was a rookie move, going overhead.

Modified wedges, with keeper cords can also clip to the same carabiner.
I do the same with wasp spray cans and tar pruning sealer spray cans. Retired prussiks work as well as retired loop runners.
On the axe and wedges, I'll take a picture of my set for aloft. I used 2.2mm zing it in double sliding fisherman's knot foot loop style. Then I heat shrink tube over them . The hatchet is on a longer one so that it can hang off my d ring and never needs detaching as I hammer wedges. Each wedge has its own crab as well. The heat shrink keeps the cord stiff so it has less inclination to tangle the group.

To make it easily on and off the saddle, I put 2 wedges and the hammer on the same small carabiner, each one with a long enough link to be used still connected. A small loop near the wedges and hammer allowed to clip them short and keep them quiet (relatively) between uses.
Bad idea. As soon as I unclip the small loops to put them in use, it's like an instantaneous tangle. I have to try your way Stephen.

I do the same with wasp spray cans and tar pruning sealer spray cans. Retired prussiks work as well as retired loop runners.
On the axe and wedges, I'll take a picture of my set for aloft. I used 2.2mm zing it in double sliding fisherman's knot foot loop style. Then I heat shrink tube over them . The hatchet is on a longer one so that it can hang off my d ring and never needs detaching as I hammer wedges. Each wedge has its own crab as well. The heat shrink keeps the cord stiff so it has less inclination to tangle the group.

Have you looked into any of the bio pruning sealers, like Cut Guard?
Something about needing an air permeable sealant that allows the stimulation of woundwood formation.?.?

Not really. Trying to starve the mistletoe of light and air after I cut it out of the cambium or shave it off. Also on wounds on pines during the warm months on live tissue to hide the turpine smell and open wound near the collar or reduction cuts. I feel it helps keep the beetles off the tree better than attracting them. Only time I use sealer. Otherwise, open air on pruning cuts since we are mostly dry air.

80'er, ok that's better carry on.

:lol::lol:

Sean: Same here.

Corey: Sure, Corey... ladder rung type trees... most of us older guys just free climb those with pleasure for pruning-type applications, but (somehow I'm sure you already know this.) never for removal stuff. Just seems to always make more sense to just torch all of the limbs off while ascending on spurs till you're high enough to take a top with reasonable fence-safety. :|: Not yet a perfected science. [-o<

Back