Page 672 of 674 FirstFirst ... 172572622662670671672673674 LastLast
Results 6,711 to 6,720 of 6733

Thread: Tree felling vids

TreeHouser

If I'm already in the tree, and have a rigging line... allows for a thicker hinge.doesn't take any significant extra time as I mostly just point and cut from there

TreeHouser

came up with this idea on Saturday. Was cutting a hemlock loaded with vines. Just took a small top towards the DZ and let it hang, then another short rip cut and another and another, till the four cuts were all laying out heavier and heavier to the dz and the lay. Made it easy compared with trying to get the straight pieces to the lay, then fight each piece to the ground. So I used a rip cut on this spruce top (not very big) and used the hanging weight of the top to give the next cut some front lean. You could easily use a short line to hang the pieces. I like the idea as a time saver...

I like the hanging top idea.

I'm not saying you will barberchair a tree with wedges.

I get by with gravity instead of rigging lines, frequently.

If you're in a bucket, it's easy to carry a rigging line.

Digging a rope out from under a log is part of what takes time and/ or someone to get on a machine.

Wedging is a pain in the ass when hinges are kept thick.

Ropes and thick hinges have their places. That is the right kind of hinge for certain applications with lots of pulling leverage.

Good hinges, suitable for the task, matter.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

TreeHouser

we almost always have a machine on site to lift and move material. I developed another technique to cut a notch in the trunk to slot the rope in to prevent it from getting trapped, but rarely use it as it is not needed on our jobs.

TreeHouser

Quote Originally Posted by SeanKroll View Post
    Wedging is a pain in the ass when hinges are kept thick.
    Which has most likely been the main cause for the fallacy that fat hinges are undesirable. Jed calls his hinge "too fat" in one of his videos. Have you seen my tapered hinges that are 8" on the wide side in oak and maple? NOBODY is going to wedge those trees... 2:1 MA pulling with a 4x4 dodge 2500 gets them going though.

Quote Originally Posted by murphy4trees View Post
    ... I'm still trying to figure out how setting a rope takes too much time...
    Dude, if you came out here to do work, you'd figure it out really quick. Waist deep ferns, waist deep Sollal, waist deep Oregon Grape, I don't even wanna talk about Black Berry, Stinging Nettle and Devil's Club. Out here, bean bags are generally for little kids. I personally think they have their place, but I know tree guys who wouldn't be caught dead with one on their truck.

And yes, as Sean already mentioned... out here, barber chairs get people. I know of a guy who was seriously maimed by one. No one would leave too fat of a hinge here. I have fallen 160' trees here in residential settings. Here, if a guy leaves too fat of a hinge (I don't care what kind of saw he's runnin) on even a slight head-leaner, and gust of wind hits the top... he might have a heck of a time sharing the barber-chair vid with his East Coast buddies, I don't care HOW fast his internet is.

Student of the Jedi Sponsor treebilly's Avatar

Not to mention to fat of a hinge has a tendency to break unevenly. Fibers don’t bend. They are pulled to failure. Species dependent of course.
    I’m kind of a hinge junkie. I, as well as my crew, do a quick stump forensics on almost every tree we fell. This has helped me with teaching my guys. Also because of Jed, Burnam, and Gerry; I strive for perfection on every cut. Oh shit, I left out Reg (please forgive me). My guys have the same attitude. We do stray from traditional or commonly taught guidelines a bit as well. We also study the outcomes.
    I need to go to bed. To many hours today. I think I’m rambling
    -Rich

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

I know tree guys who wouldn't be caught dead with one on their truck.
    Really? Wow...

I think your talking about throw lines not being used... But I don't understand.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

TreeHouser

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    Dude, if you came out here to do work, you'd figure it out really quick. Waist deep ferns, waist deep Sollal, waist deep Oregon Grape, I don't even wanna talk about Black Berry, Stinging Nettle and Devil's Club. Out here, bean bags are generally for little kids. I personally think they have their place, but I know tree guys who wouldn't be caught dead with one on their truck.

And yes, as Sean already mentioned... out here, barber chairs get people. I know of a guy who was seriously maimed by one. No one would leave too fat of a hinge here. I have fallen 160' trees here in residential settings. Here, if a guy leaves too fat of a hinge (I don't care what kind of saw he's runnin) on even a slight head-leaner, and gust of wind hits the top... he might have a heck of a time sharing the barber-chair vid with his East Coast buddies, I don't care HOW fast his internet is.
    The tree I'm talking about was the spar. YOU WERE UP IN THE TREE TO MAKE THE CUT. why not instal a pull line there and then? This isn't about throw lines... it's about using everything to your advantage. I don't want to be like "I told ya so" with you Jed.