Tree felling vids

Seems like a lot of work to do something that a faller with experience in working blowdown under tension could do a LOT faster and easier.

Sweet Gum Drop

No, nothing to do with candy. Just a short, sweet video of us dropping a 65' sweet gum tree in Shawnee, KS on Thursday.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kREpHhlhwS8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's usually our preferred method :)
(Thankfully the road wasn't very busy at that time of day.) Neighbor across the street was quite impressed with the show, sitting on his tailgate watching. He's sad about losing the shade, but just like the homeowner, he's SICK of raking up gumballs (12 lawn bags full this past fall).

This is a pretty straight forward video by someone new to bore cutting.
Nothing new there.
Of course we can yuk a bit about the " Dangerous oak trees" part.

But listen to what he says at about 1.33 min :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8r-kzPXtoeo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No, nothing to do with candy. Just a short, sweet video of us dropping a 65' sweet gum tree in Shawnee, KS on Thursday.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kREpHhlhwS8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry ... YOU"RE CRAZY... THERE IS NO REASON FOR THAT GROUNDIE TO STAND IN THE POTENTIAL DROP ZONE...
if you need to close the street, then do it properly with the men standing far enough back out of the drop zone ..

sweet gum hinges well, with a high pull line , I;d be and any half decent faller would be near 100% with that fall... BUT THAT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE... It's just a bad policy to have men standing or working where they can easily be killed if the tree goes the wrong way... even if its 1 in 1,000 that's far too chancy!!!

ya... and what about the guy that's running the saw???? It's his world that counts when his co-workers are checking their text messages , standing 20' away from a 70' tree that's ready to go... If you look closely at the body position and communication saw work of the faller you wouldn't want your children anywhere near that drop...

Well, to be perfectly honest and in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say.

You’ve already done that one haven’t you Butch?

I reckon if the groundies are not in the intended fall line or at least to 90 degr?s to it, are focused and watching what’s going on, ie. a look to all of them to say ‘watching?’ With a responsive nod of ‘ok I’m watching and ready to take evasive action’ then that’s enough.

?dit. No two situations are the same of course.

Sorry ... YOU"RE CRAZY... THERE IS NO REASON FOR THAT GROUNDIE TO STAND IN THE POTENTIAL DROP ZONE...
if you need to close the street, then do it properly with the men standing far enough back out of the drop zone ..

sweet gum hinges well, with a high pull line , I;d be and any half decent faller would be near 100% with that fall... BUT THAT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE... It's just a bad policy to have men standing or working where they can easily be killed if the tree goes the wrong way... even if its 1 in 1,000 that's far too chancy!!!
That ground man is a bit green, for sure. But we alerted him to the potential danger over the intercom and he moved. To start, he was at about a 45 degree angle as the other man was going to the truck to tension up the line. Then he moved back to be more in line with the chipper. His main role was to direct traffic as we were about to drop the tree diagonally with the crown in the road. We have a no-phone policy when we are dropping, so there were no calls or texts being done until after the tree is down and cleared of the road. Safety is a priority on our crew and we haven't sustained any substantial injuries and we are acutely aware of the dangerous work we do.

Roll Over & Play Dead

Silver maple o' the day:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fejf9TiTppM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That ground man is a bit green, for sure. But we alerted him to the potential danger over the intercom and he moved. To start, he was at about a 45 degree angle as the other man was going to the truck to tension up the line. Then he moved back to be more in line with the chipper. His main role was to direct traffic as we were about to drop the tree diagonally with the crown in the road. We have a no-phone policy when we are dropping, so there were no calls or texts being done until after the tree is down and cleared of the road. Safety is a priority on our crew and we haven't sustained any substantial injuries and we are acutely aware of the dangerous work we do.

At :03 the groundie has his back turned and is looking at his hand held device, while the faller is clearly well into the back cut. Who is in charge of safety at this point???? On my jobs the faller is in charge and makes the call on where the crew is during the fall.. Later the same groundie is actually closer to the tree, clearly standing withing 100% of tree height. That is a clear violation of industry safety standards, which have published on youtube for all to see!

I don't mean to bust your balls here.. Maybe I'm just trying to save a life out there somewhere... maybe someone is watching that will listen and make a change..

I have seen big straight trees with pull lines go 45 degrees to the intended lay due to JUST A SLIGHT BYPASS in the face that was filled with some sawdust.
On the second video, maple pulled by truck (roll over and play dead) looks like the same groundie is standing well withing the 100% tree height potential drop zone. AND there is an unintentional bypass in your face cut, which indicates a high probability of poor falling skills..

Butch can tell you not to "worry about it", but it's unlikely you'd get the same sentiment from the family of someone that died as a result of your actions.

Oh my God!
The head guru of treework is back.
Now we can all learn that all we've been doing is WRONG!

Have you read any good Swedish articles lately:lol:

Back