Tree felling vids

...competently done except for that last stunt wint the hinge.
Why even do that, the tree was going over and you had a rope around it so no chance of a barberchair.

See. That's why I love this place. You and Marc-Antoine called it. Totally stupid show-off nip at the end, when a man could have bought himself (Nutball called it too.) more safety by getting away sooner. Oh... and I had never even thought about the built-in BBC protection. :|:

Ohio Rich: Man, sorry... somehow I never even saw your post. Dude, yer ROW jobs make me think about everything that I hate about treework, which isn't much. Out here, one runs into that sort of thing working in the city. :fucyc:

Here's one from yesterday. We had some very light little dry, dead Hemlocks to try to sink through the canopy, so, again, I resorted to some monkey business to help er sink...

https://youtu.be/7GuvBL6zPuI

Daniel: I CAN'T FIGURE THE EMBED THING OUT!!! :cry::O:whine::O:cry::O

WOW! So sorry you guys... I tried to edit that stupid video to make it tollerably watchable, failed, and yet somehow messed up the sound super bad! :lol::|::lol:

Nice shot!

You say you want to get into timber falling...you already are?!?

What are your thoughts on chaps?

Jed , if you are using an iPhone you can download a “browser” app ... this allows you to switch from mobile to desktop mode ... 1) download app and use it - you should be in desktop mode ... 2) search your utube video you wish to load ,3) hit share button and embed choice will appear ...4) press embed and then hold on the code , select ALL and COPY ... paste the embedded code here ... one caveat ... for whatever reason sometimes you need to toggle to iPhone THEN hit desktop icon to get the embed feature ... hope this helps

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9MN87CSY3DA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

... hope this helps

No, but thanks so much for going through all that explanation, just on my account. I have Android. :|:

Gary: Thanks!

Stephen: The arborist decided to KEEP that one. :lol::|::lol:

Corey: I gotta love/hate with chaps. Love em in the winter, hate em in the summer. I can't even wear saw-pants in the summer. I just feel like I'm gonna die, even if I DON'T cut myself.

Rich: PROGRESSING?!?... Dude, he's already outstripped me years ago... https://youtu.be/L5ailfCgDh8

Jed, pretty much my thoughts too re chaps. In summer, if its really hot, I have to take the risk in not wearing them. I dint wear em for approx 35 years until this old white man got cut on knee, made me say yeah ok

Jed, I really enjoyed that video.
I would most likely have done it the same way, only set the tie-together rope somewhat higher.

Questions on setting the tie higher.

If set higher the restraining effect of the tie would have engaged the 2nd tree sooner (or maybe not..how do you know how much slack to put in that" tree pulls tree" rope?). Seems that would make a slower fall for the first tree as it went over...it would be held back as it fell. Might that inject some danger in that the tree could rotate as the canopy dictated (it might have longer on the hinge) and it might break the hinge more differentially than you want?

Also, with Jed's low tie when the rope got tight and once the hinge broke the butt of the spar shot back opposite the fall, maybe 3 feet,back towards the back cut...if Jed had stayed too close to that back cut it could have hit him. Wouldn't a higher tie have produced a longer "pendulum" rope and made that back-shoot of the spar even greater? depending on how the second tree (temporarily a gin pole tree?) behaved?

Probably overthinking it but curious how folks see it.

Just keep a thick enough hinge of both of them, then there should be no problem.

It brought to mind simul-felling 2 stems cabled together, leaning in opposite directions, one of them toward the lay. Just hope those old cables don't break at the moment of truth, but they never have yet.

Yep. Thanks Fi. All the young guys are getting em, and they seem like they're definitely the least of the summertime evils. I just can't get myself to spend the money.

Gary: Stig's right. If I wouldn't have torched my wood, it wouldn't even have done that. Thanks for the well thought out response, though.

Well, alrighty then! It was a cool video. You keep doing them...just don't do nothing stupid just to make a video.

We likes you.

Gary, I mostly agree with your thinking.
The first tree has a brittle wood, so the hinge will let go no matter what. To avoid a shot back of the butt, the tying should be over the COG. That's way too high for this particular job. I would be sure to make a strong hinge for the second tree to hold the longest possible, a tapered one like if the second tree was actually leaning toward the high voltage line.
Some slack can be add in the system to make the things start moving, but not much. I don't want to shock load that, to avoid either damage/break the line or break something in both trees. Dead wood or moreover the second hinge for examples.

Sure hope Jerry sees this one.....:D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DlTGRlF_zSI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FshU58nI0Ts" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would gladly apologize to Marc Antione for this next video. It is basically nothing. I have realized that all I really like about video is it's partial ability to display what is happening in the wood when a given man, be he Jed or Daniel Murphy (who are almost the exact same person, if we're honest) puts a cut in it. It's not OUR FAULT that Gerry, Butch, Corey and Graeme, cut all of the decent trees down before any of us decent folk could get our greedy little hands on it!!!
https://youtu.be/xHfmWDh8sjI

Back