Tree felling vids

I managed to get it at approximately 35 degrees from weighted direction, but with such advanced whiterot anything was a bonus. I really do think that any retention line would have to take the weight of the entire tree - as you noticed the fibres break as opposed to flex. Thankfully the job was a selective fell in a small woodland so messing around with ropes was not required.

Nice video, loved the music, and looked good for a bad tree. Some damage was probably expected and you did well at keeping it to a minimum

Nice vid Pete!

I did a couple of jobs for an old mate of mine, this one he'd been muttering about for a year, not a massive tree but heavily leaning the wrong way, with a data cable behind, we set up a pulley system using his truck as an anchor and pulled it upright and over with my truck, I kept cutting to prevent it barber chairing, from where I was it looked like the tree was going to hit the power lines in front but it was an optical illusion and came down 30ft short.

Attachments

• 20190802_134911.jpg
    20190802_134911.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 51
Pete, nice vid and crazy music!!

high scale- nice pics, but shorts doing tree work? Tried it myself, never could make it work

Not for me.
The time you assess what's going on, it's finished. No clue about the before nor the after. You know almost nothing about the job and it's conditions, the constraints, what's involved ... then BAM, that's all folks!
I find that extremely deceptive.
It's like a stop at the stand in a F1 racing. The crew performing its task is really impressive to see, but it's an awfully too short bit to tell the story of the race.
7 " ? Nah...

Interesting opinion... the more so because it would seem to diverge from the status quo. I'm only taking what you say into consideration beacause of your beautiful pit-stop, glory-hound analogy, and (at least on that point) I would have to say that I perfectly agree. That, and I'm a bit of a Rousseauphile, and have a deep regard for Pascal. I really appreciate brevity in tree videos, but I definately want to get away from my (I'm ashamed to confess, deeply engrained) glory-hound tendencies.

Corey: Dude. Rock climbing sucks... Man, when I went bouldering with my daughter, I thought, "Oh yeah... I'm gonna own this cause I climb trees all day long." WRONG!!! I think I did a V3 after my third trip to the gym. :lol: My daughter routinely does V 5's. Good for my new "anti-glory-hound," aspirations. :lol:

Rich/Butch: Thanks. Yeah... I wanna definitely keep em short.

Pete: Guys like you are one of the main reasons I love the Treehouse. I've never fallen a Beach tree in my life.

High Scale: Rad pics. I've never seen a stump like that in my life. I dare say it would work in a Beach. The only west coaster I know of who would ever raise his back cut that high is Burnham. I learn something new on here every time I log in.

Jed, do you use a double-bit ax for splitting?

IME, they are for clean chopping on one side, dirty chopping on the other. One razor sharp, one sharp. Neither side for splitting.

No, I get yer opinion fer sure, but... I used to think Buckin Billy Ray was out of his mind... and I still do in 60% of the Fir that a guy is likely to get home. However... in that other 40%... man a double-bit is so wicked thin and light and long (head-speed) that I guy can put the hurt on a TON of wood fast, if it's the straight, clear-grain stuff that we all covet, but for the rest of the nastier stuff... I'll stick with a Fiskers X27, or even just a Home Depot, yellow chineese maul. I'm all about trying to incorporate different axes with different cheek profiles now too though. The right tool fer the job, ya know... Ohh... also... I'm really ashamed to admit it, but I think I'm a composite (handle) guy too. I love to reach over, and I don't wanna worry about my precious hicory haft. I do like using Hickory a ton better though too sometimes. I am a true weirdo.

Also: re the double bit... the "flick," is fer real. ;)

I've seen side-weighted splitting axes with a wider flare, with the offset mass causing the flick as it splits. Is that what you're on about, with the double-bit, the twist effect being more possible with the weight distribution?

You can see her flick.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7fWo0P0MdJM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I pull the lever.

I can split some wood, but my wrists get mad.

She has some really nice flicks. :/:
Can somebody tell me why is it that women prefer to be barefoot when doing potentially injurious work? I had to yell at my wife who was pruning our Washington Hawthorn barefoot.

She has some really nice flicks. :/:
Can somebody tell me why is it that women prefer to be barefoot when doing potentially injurious work? I had to yell at my wife who was pruning our Washington Hawthorn barefoot.

Man, imho, women can be really tuff in some rather goofy, weird ways like that.

Sean: Thanks. She's doubtless a really rad girl, but the thing that nobody tells ya is that that kind of wood would spit itself if a guy like Stig or Gary just gave it a mean look.

I think the lack of shoes is the hippy thing I guess. I made that assumption from the dress.

Never even considered splitting with my double bit. But it is a competition, throwing axe so maybe not the best for the task.

Pete, I have a trick for you.

When dealing with decayed Beech, try the patented Daniel Murphy micro face cut.

Since Beech usually goes bad from inside out, you can mostly find some sound hinge wood if you only scratch the front of the tree.

It looked to me like you might have had a working hinge if you had made a 2" facecut.

When I deal with hazard Beech trees, which I have been doing for the last 20 years, I start out with the slimmest facecut possible.
If the wood behind that looks solid, I go deeper and so on.

The time spent doing that is well spent IMO.

Especially since I do hazard trees on a paid per day, not hourly wage:D

HAHA Stig,

A lot of people went off on the micro face... Those were the good old days... can't get a peep out of you all anymore...

ps.. did you see the latest bbc video????

that could make for some fun around here..

all are encouraged to watch the debriefing video as well...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1-wT6SbJ4J0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uYm5t6aGd60" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That was a cool barberchair video. I shudder to think what you would consider "heavy" lawn damage.;)

Back