Atkins Diet

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
I think I'm gonna give it a shot. It's perfect for me with the meat, cheese and eggs. I know a guy who lost 125lbs doing it, I need to lose 30.

Any of you ever try it?

I gotta have about 125g of carbs a day or I start shutting down. Don't fear the carbs!

I do know that my Mom and Dad are on a carb diet, which isn't Atkins...it's the one similar to it that allows for some, but still very, very few carbs in a day. They've never been fat or overweight, but wanted to drop 10-20 lbs each I guess. They do pretty well on it, but you have got to live it 110% or it won't be effective.

Butch, I never "went on the Atkins diet" but back in my bachelor days I found it easy to lose weight by going on a steak, eggs and fruit diet any time I wanted to lose 10 lbs. Be sure to hydrate well-high protein diets are harder on the kidneys than fatty, carby, heart attack regimens.

Carbs have always fattened me up.

The wrong ones at the wrong time always will.

Morning, pre-workout, post-work out you can take in your simple carbs, but other times of the day you must eat complex carbs to keep your blood sugar stable, and your insulin will follow. This will keep you anabolic and the fat will come off. Problem is as soon as you hit a beer, some chis, candy, Coke, whatever, your insulin spikes, you go catabolic, your body stores the calories and you put the weight on.

Whole wheat, brown rice! ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just cleaned my toaster and stashed it. Damn, I can't put ketchup on my eggs! I also dumped my skim milk down the drain.

Today is Day 1, 220 lbs.

Show me the documentation on that. I'm reading all I can about it at the moment.

Yes, VERY strict. Only 20 grams a day for the first two weeks. I'll be buying some hydrolysis/ketone test strips soon - Ketosis, here I come! :rockon:

The bad breath will be awesome.

Here's an interesting tip I didn't know;

Shop the perimeter of the grocery store and avoid the aisles wherever possible! Along the perimeter you'll find your acceptable dairy products, meats, cheeses and vegetables! Aisle shop only when you must.

I'm not a fan of the Atikins diet, both of my parents have tried it, and lost a shit ton of weight doing it.

The 3 problems with Atkins are:
1: You have to do it for life, that may be good, but I think it would suck. If you get off it, you'll gain the weight back in no time.
2: Straight protien is harder on the kidneys.
3: Carbs are damn tasty.

I lost a simlar percentage of weight with exercise in 4 months, 80 minutes of exercise 5 days a week. If I watched what I ate, I'dda lost it faster.

The nice thing was I could still eat what I damn well pleased. Of course the problem came back when I stopped excercising.

Here's an interesting tip I didn't know;

Shop the perimeter of the grocery store and avoid the aisles wherever possible! Along the perimeter you'll find your acceptable dairy products, meats, cheeses and vegetables! Aisle shop only when you must.

That's a bodybuilding mainstay. I only hit the aisles to get my whole wheat pasta and hot sauce.

I've done the protein power diet, which is similar. With protein power, you stay in the 20-30 gram/day limit. You don't have to stay in that range for life, just until you reach your goal weight, then you start reintroducing "good" carbs, such as those from fruits and vegetables. I always have trouble with it because I usually buy lunch, and often dinner as well. If you can prepare almost all of your meals, you will be better off. I found that if I was staying strict about the diet, I could go on a totally insane carb binge every few weeks, and it didn't even matter, or could even break a plateau. You don't want to loose a lot of weight, so it shouldn't be big deal. You will probably loose about 10 pounds pretty quick from retained water. From what I've read, if you are insulin resistant, or have a history diabetes in your family, you will want to continue a reduced carb lifestyle.

I don't buy into any of the zero carb diets, even if only for a few weeks, your brain needs those carbs. You may find that you don't have strong cravings for food when low carbing. I found that I often didn't care if I ate, after a while. For me, it made a big difference in my energy levels, and even my attitude.:roll: It was just really difficult for someone who would rather eat a nice crusty loaf of bread then a piece of pie or cake for desert. Damn I love good bread.:cry:

You can have 4 oz of cheese a day, Al. And no beer, but my whiskey's OK.

Marihuana is not fattening either, except for getting the munchies!

With whiskey and reefer, life can't get all bad.

I eat a ton of bread, and wanted to trim up this fall. With moderate excersize, and eating as little bread as possible and no sweets, I trimmed right up. I'll never stop drinking beer though.

You have to change your metabolic rate somehow . In my case if I weren't active during winter times I naturally would gain some weight but come spring I would drop 10 within less than a month .

Now I don't recommend it but I had some bad fitting china clippers and couldn't hardly chomp on anything other than soup for several months until they got fixed . Well, my appetite waned ,it doesn't take as much to fill me up ,I feel great and life is good . Size 34 blue jeans that are not snug, around 212 which is where I was for maybe 20 years prior to landing this cush job I have now .

Short term....do it if you want....you can lose fast. Long term....it doesn't work and may get you pretty sick.

Pretty simple. If input is greater than output....you'll gain weight. Reverse is true, also.

I prefer to increase the output as I enjoy the input too much. :D

Back