How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 179K
All my rigging slings have tight eyes for carabiners. Today I made this one with large eyes for choking medium size logs without a carabiner. It's just over 5' long so I can grab slightly larger pieces than using the 4' loop runners.

moto_0032.jpg

I put a tape measure to the sling I made and it was 68", a bit longer than I wanted. So I just made another one at 58". Those two slings will work perfectly for stepped increases from the 48" loop runners. The first one has a hidden lock stitch while the shorter one has a more traditional whipping. This will help me identify them at a glance .

moto_0036.jpg

Nice work guys!

I need to make some slings like Brian uses for busting out tops and limbs onto it'self from the bucket. I have a bunch of 3/4" Tenex I hope to use.

I've been thinking for a while that this might be possible. Today I decided to give it a go. It was as tough as I thought it'd be, but I really like how it turned out...

friction saver.jpg

Any guesses as to how I did it?

love
nick

here's a high res version if you prefer that...

2012-09-08 13.59.05.jpg

Nice man. Locked brummel on both ends, right? I think I might know, little confusing to write down though haha. Gonna have to think this one out for a few.

Here's a hint...if what you're thinking is too confusing to write down, then what you're thinking is way more complicated that what I actually did.

I've been staring at it for about 10 minutes now. Obviously the first ring is easy and I'm thinking you probably didn't stuff that "small" ring through the brummel so I'll admit I'm stumped!

I recall looking up a rope manufacturer's directions for splicing a locking Brummel and the typical instructions are based on the assumption that you only have access to one end of the rope. Pulling the tail of the rope through the braid is just a shortcut. So I assume you just did the second splice using the 'long' method.

I've been staring at it for about 10 minutes now. Obviously the first ring is easy and I'm thinking you probably didn't stuff that "small" ring through the brummel so I'll admit I'm stumped!

As you should be. This is something that has puzzled me for many hours. I figured out a way once on how to do it where you would do the first eye, then the first half of the second eye, then when it came time to make that final (impossible pass) you would unravel the tail, split the strands into two bundles, then go OVER the standing end of the rope rather than having it go though you, then i would reweave the rope in a 4 strand weave that I got out of Ashley's. (Specifically, I'd use ABOK 3017)

That totally worked, but this new method is WAY more elegant!

I recall looking up a rope manufacturer's directions for splicing a locking Brummel and the typical instructions are based on the assumption that you only have access to one end of the rope. Pulling the tail of the rope through the braid is just a shortcut. So I assume you just did the second splice using the 'long' method.

Brian, you're referring to the Mobius Brummell. In that splice you have to pass the entire eye through a part of the brummel itself so that you invert the tail on itself. It wouldn't work in this case because there is a ring stuck in the eye.

Have fun!

love
nick

Any hints without giving it away? I'm still staring at it and even tried a little fake mock-up and don't have it yet..

Is oceans hard to splice? I don't use it but my partner does and it seems to have a super tight cover.

Never had a problem with it, especially the new stuff. The green ocean. Spliced some down at Rich's awhile back and it went super smooth

Yea I agree it's not too bad.

I did massage and lightly mallet that one for the last half inch. The cover gets a little tight because with neropes the core goes a full fid down but it's not too bad.

The only rope I think is hard to splice is tachyon. The final bury suuucks. I did a couple fly splices too and didn't enjoy them.. they looked crappy with part of the core being exposed too.

Nice work Nick. Now, go try some Velocity and see how easy it is. :D

And don't forget to stitch it!

Oops, missed the stitching in the first photos, my bad.

Velocity, or any of the double braid climbing lines are going to be considerably more difficult than the double braid rigging ropes.

Back