How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 179K
Some great info here thankyou to the members posting i am learning basic splice got it down now on small stuff,Just need a big work line now and ill try on a bit of that.

...For my next break test, it would be interesting to see how the shorter bury affects the strength of the splice. Has anyone on here done something similar yet??

I have done a number of tests to check the relationship between bury length and splice security, but always in 12-strand rope (Tenex, Ice Tail, and Amsteel Blue). Of course a longer bury gives you more security, but the relationship seems to be exponential, not linear. Even though the manufacturers' specs have always seemed quite conservative to me, I wouldn't dream of hanging off a modified splice without a knowing exactly what I was doing. I experiment with various splice parameters all the time, and I still get surprised from time to time. Be safe and do what the manufacturers say. Or do some careful experiments before making any mods. I feel pretty good hanging off a mod if I tested a considerably worse splice that survived a break test without coming apart.

good good, glad to hear it,

It's not worth taking short cuts. remember, it's your life on the line.

measure twice, cut once

Jamie

Here's my newest creation. The 150' Velocity Hot I sold, FJR requested a tight eye. Full fid bury. All by the book.

Attachments

• IMG_0936.jpg
    IMG_0936.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 113
Nice work. The eye looks a wee bit bunched up...but I think it's an optical illusion. Tiny eyes look like that sometimes...

Nice and clean looking.

Time for NICCS Method on that stitching soon....

Here you go Adrian.

Thanks to Butch for enabling pdf attachments.

Attachments

• niccs1.pdf
    529.3 KB · Views: 102
I spliced Fly once, back when it first came out. Never again. And it wasn't that good of a tree rope either. I still have it in a box somewhere, it's not durable enough to even make a decent lowering line.

I've found double braids to be the easiest for me to splice (not counting hollow braid/locking Brummel splices). If you take your time and don't force it, the buries are quite easy. I've probably done 60-80 double braid splices and I still use the printed instructions as a guide just to make sure I measure everything correctly. I'll never be an expert or fast enough to do it for profit but I enjoy being able to do my own.

I shoulda had you show me lock stitch and whip when you were here. I can't wrap my head around Nicks instructions!

Can you make a vid?

I believe he has one on his Youtube channel see if I can find it and post the link.
No go on finding it on his site, but I know I had watched one he did.

Back